Help

Teachers' Lounge

Haunted house

>

hikinghiker

Haunted house
Old 10-14-2019, 06:41 PM

Skeptics beware.

I just purchased a house last march. I'm a single female and live alone. Always felt super comfortable until September, when my dog began to bark and growl at the staircase (then later the corner) most nights. I jokingly sent videos to family and friends and said my staircase was haunted.

Flash forward to two weeks ago. It was a Friday night and I was up, all lights on, but kept dozing off. My dog was on my bed but he kept jumping off it to go and growl in a corner upstairs. So I was dozing off, then I suddenly bolted awake after hearing footsteps approaching my bed. I was convinced someone was walking towards me and only a feet feet away, but there was nothing. My heart was pounding and it took a few minutes before I calmed down and put it off my mind, convinced it was a weird sleep trick. An hour later, I woke up a second time to banging. I couldn't tell if the banging was coming from upstairs or downstairs, though my dog jumped up at it and immediately went to the corner to growl, not to the front door. Super weird, right?

I set up a sleep recorder and catch two noises in two nights. One is a loud bang and the other is a noise that sounds like furniture being dragged, then three footsteps right after. I decide to enlist my mom's help in sage-ing the house last night.

We lit two white candles and took them into an empty guest bedroom that creeps me out and I always leave closed. The candles were pretty strong and didn't go out when walking next to an open window or when we blew on them, but THREE times they both went out randomly when we were standing in the middle of the room. No flickering of the flames or left-over embers. Just strong and steady flames then instant extinguishment in both candles simultaneously.

So I sage-ed my house and am still sleeping with the lights on (as I have every night for the past two weeks). ugh.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-14-2019, 06:58 PM

I am not sure what to say. Sage sounds like a smart option. I hope that you get good sleep tonight and after Halloween this weirdness goes away.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Haunted
Old 10-14-2019, 07:01 PM

Maybe both you and the house need cleansing and a blessing. Invite someone in to completely cleanse the house. And you might consider doing a one day spa, cleanse, purge.

Open all the windows and let the air brush through.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 10-14-2019, 07:02 PM

I'd like to think there is a logical explanation, but I don't know what that would be. Stay safe and get some sleep.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 10-14-2019, 07:35 PM

Oh boy...... that would definitely creep me out. I had a friend that built a home on a lot that had some angry spirits. She had a priest come in and he preformed some sort of “thing” that set them to rest. I know we have some weird things happen in our house but we attribute it to friends and relatives that have passed that are just letting us know they have not forgotten us. It doesn’t creep us out by any means, though.

Last edited by Cat woman; 10-15-2019 at 04:30 AM..
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 10-14-2019, 07:37 PM

That would seriously creep me out! Is your house old? Have you researched the history of who lived there before you? Hope your efforts pay off and you are able to sleep comfortably.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-14-2019, 08:06 PM

You totally creeped me out. Good luck!
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 10-14-2019, 10:14 PM

I can believe it and all that paranormal stuff gives me the creeps. If I ever encountered anything paranormal, I'd be so terrified, I wouldn't know what to do.

What I wonder is why this started happening a whole 6 mos after you moved in. Did you start any kind of remodeling or even minor renovation? I've learned that spirits don't like that kind of thing since they still think it's their house.
Do you buy antiques and brought one into the house or anything else like that? Something could be connected to something you brought into the house in Sept. I've watched enough paranormal shows to know.

Also, you said you have a guest room that creeps you out. Why would anyone spend their hard-earned money to buy a house in which ANY part of the house scares them or makes them feel uneasy? If I was looking at houses and any part of the house made me feel a certain negative way, I sure wouldn't be buying it because you're not even fully comfortable in your own house that you bought.

Do you know the house's history at all? If not, you should start researching. I don't know what to tell you in the meantime. If I lived alone and anything like that started happening, I'd want to stay someplace else.

Keep us posted on this.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Old 10-15-2019, 02:56 AM

Maybe you should call The Dead Files. My husband loves that show. Good luck!!
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Tori58
Old 10-15-2019, 05:05 AM
This message has been deleted by Tori58.

Tori58

Old 10-15-2019, 05:06 AM

I'm not a skeptic but this sort of thing wouldn't scare me unless I particularly felt that I was dealing with a menacing presence. The fact that your dog is barking and growling (as opposed to, say, whining, panting or staring) is a little troublesome but also makes me lean toward thinking your issue may be more connected to some animal bothering at night than to a spirit. The fact that it began in September, not immediately when you moved in, also suggests an animal visitor since those are often seasonal. Where I live, I'd be thinking racoons.

That wouldn't explain the candles, though. You've already done what I would do if I was bothered by a presence in my house: smudge with sage. And yes, if your efforts are unsuccessful, you might need to bring someone in.

I, too, am surprised that you would buy a house with a room that feels creepy. That was my number one criterion when I was house hunting. I passed on one house that would have been a better value for the money because it didn't "feel right" when I walked in. I chose my extremely unpretentious house, precisely because it did feel right when I walked in. That's not to say I never feel a presence in the house, but it's a friendly presence.

Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Response
Old 10-15-2019, 06:13 AM

As a response to some comments:

- when I moved in the guest bedroom wasnít creepy at all. Itís a pretty small house <1700sq.ft. I was just going to leave that room empty or turn it into a guest bedroom.Iím not sure at what point I started to get creeped out by it, but a few months after purchasing and moving in I started closing the door to it.

- itís not an animal. We donít have raccoons or anything that really likes to get inside houses, except cockroaches. I have thought that it could possibly be neighbors though that heís seeing reflected or something.

- I never felt too scared in the house either. So if it was a ghost, I donít think it was an evil one. Occasionally I would get the hair rising on the back of my neck, but hardly ever fear, except that night with the footsteps. I also thought I would be terrified if there was ever paranormal activity but I really didnít. A little creeped out, but not terror or anything.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

stella.ivey

house
Old 10-15-2019, 06:53 AM

Is selling it an option? I would seriously get out of there....and blame it on the dog!
stella.ivey is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

I house sat
Old 10-15-2019, 03:53 PM

In college for a couple whose house was haunted. When I would sleep, random noises would occur and the leaves on the large plant in the family room would move like someone was walking by. I was by myself so that wasnít an option.

Although I didnít experience it myself, apparently the silverware drawer would open and dump everything out in the floor periodically.
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 10-15-2019, 04:07 PM

is it possible to get hold of the previous owners and ask them if they had any "interesting" experiences?
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Well I believe you...
Old 10-15-2019, 04:50 PM

We had many weird experiences when we lived in our last house for 8 years. It didnt start until we had been there for probably 5 years. It was only experienced by my dd and myself, although my dh was locked in the garage once when we were all upstairs and the only lock was on the inside of the door and had to be physically turned.

We would hear walking upstairs when we were downstairs. My dog also acted like yours and would jump up and run off barking and growling at something we couldn't see. One time my dd and I were upstairs (me in the master and her in her room). There was a definite knock on her door (I heard it as well as the master was directly across) and she went and opened it and nobody was there. She thought it was her brother pranking her, but he and my dh were both outside working on the car.

The time that scared us the most is one night that it was just me and dd home. We were downstairs watching tv. The bathroom door at the top of the stairs slammed shut with a huge force. There is no type of suction or air or anything there to cause that. The door frame was tight due to foundation settling and you really had to force that door shut. DD and I literally looked at each other and ran outside and got in my car. We called my ds who was at his girlfriends house to come check the house with us. He went up there (armed he hunts) and there was nobody in the house. My 18 year old dog also disappeared while we lived there and was never found and the only thing I could figure is she got out the door without us knowing and we never found her.

Shortly after that we began looking for a new place. Ironically we moved the next street over (we love our neighborhood) and every time we drive by we want to ask the new people if anything weird has happened. I really want to know.

So, no helpful advice but if it gets too bad i would move.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 10-15-2019, 05:10 PM

Can you get the house blessed?
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 10-19-2019, 01:13 PM

hikinghiker, how are things now and what do you plan to do? I stumbled across the paranormal thread of this board I belong to and another poster was reading some things online about people who had paranormal activity occur in their homes, and he came across several accounts of people who had things start acting up after using an electronic air purifier (ionizer). Who would have ever thought that and why that of all the electronic items, I wonder?

A couple of months before things happened, that poster from the other board got an ionizing air purifier since his place was old and a little musty. The purifier worked very well, and he said made his home smell sort of like a swimming pool, which was a step up from what it was like before. Did the air purifier tear a hole into another dimension? I donít know, but it was some coincidence reading about people who had no issues before using an ionizing/ozone air purifier.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote