Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Air Fryer

>

DiamondGirl

Air Fryer
Old 10-15-2019, 04:47 PM

Could you recommend one, please? There are just too many choices and I really don't know what I'm looking for. I know I want one that doesn't use oil because that's supposed to be healthier, correct? Then I saw one that only uses a little oil; whatever that means. Preferably in red. Thanks.

DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-15-2019, 04:56 PM

My suggestion is to look at the size of the cooking area. I make fries in mine in several batches and it is only the 2 of us. I should just do them in my oven. Same thing. It also takes up considerably more of my counter than I would like. More than any of my other small appliances.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 10-15-2019, 05:45 PM

I don't tend to deep fry in oil or pan fry in a lot of oil. So, an air fryer doesn't really do anything for me different than my oven with convection or just a spritz of oil in the bottom of a non-stick pan.

My parent has an air fryer. For the small amount of food it cooks it sure does take up a lot of counter space. I just don't see them being worth the money, especially if you have convection oven or convection toaster oven. I will say, it can be faster than the oven since you really only have to pre-heat for 2 or 3 minutes compared to the long oven cycle to pre-heat.

canteach

This spring we bought the large one
Old 10-15-2019, 05:55 PM

that Emeril advertises. It uses no oil at all. My husband was the driving force behind it. He loves meat. He and his work colleagues often use one of a smaller variety at work during their hour long lunches. They really like using theirs to make french fries and other foods.
At home we use ours for fresh potato french fries, but more often I use it to make great evenly toasted bagels, English muffins, or bread. We also it to make steaks or other meats when it is too cold outside to use the grill. Ours does take up lots of counter space and it must be at least 5 inches away from any cabinets, so it's on a base cabinet with no cabinet above it. I also unplug it when it's not in use just to prevent any possible accidental engagement of the heating element--unlikely in a two adult household, but still.
canteach is offline   Reply With Quote

CHenard

Air Fryer
Old 10-15-2019, 07:34 PM

I have had a Philips for 2-3 years. I can't find a model number on it anywhere but I think it's an extra-large one. I love it!

I've never used any oil with it. I use liners to minimize the cleanup. I have an appliance garage so it doesn't sit out on my counter. I really wouldn't like it being out all of the time.

CHenard is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 10-16-2019, 01:44 AM

I have a Gourmia air fryer. That's whats written on the front My kids got it for me for mother's day so I assume my DD got it at Costco or Target. I actually use it more than I thought I would. I leave it in my pantry--moved out the George Forman grill I don't use anymore. So, it's easy for me to pull out when needed but you do need some space on your counter top when you use it. The only oil used in most of the recipes I see are spritzed on over fish or chicken breasts or potatoes and other veggies are covered lightly. Many times, I use it in place of turning on the oven. It was great when the temps were hot outside and/or it was raining and I couldn't grill. Cooking times vary but most are a bit quicker in the air fryer.

A negative for some might be it doesn't have room for more than 2-3 chicken breasts. It's fine for just 2-3 of us at meals but not for larger meal cooking.

Last edited by Violets2; 10-16-2019 at 08:49 AM..
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Another option
Old 10-16-2019, 02:17 AM

If you already have an InstantPot you may want to check out this lid. You can check out the reviews on Amazon. I have one but haven't tried it out yet. If it works as well as the reviews state I will discard my air fryer. The grease build up on the heating element of the air fryer is difficult to remove despite following directions found on YouTube.

I have seen other appliances that now combine all the features of an air fryer, slow cooker, and a pressure cooker all in one.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Cuisenart
Old 10-16-2019, 10:10 AM

It's more of a toaster oven size. It's not the kettle style. I use in constantly. There are only two of us, so I didn't get the bigger one. I made "fried" pork chops and my husband said he'd never had such good fried chops. I even did a small whole chicken that was amazing. It's great for reheating pizza, too. I make burgers in it, and they are SO juicy! Of course, now there's the Emeril oven, but it is definitely larger and probably wouldn't fit into the corner where mine now sits out of the way.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 10-16-2019, 01:11 PM

Thanks for starting this thread, DiamondGirl. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread too!
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote