Help

The VENT

Why?

>

Lily_NC_NY

Why?
Old 10-15-2019, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It's been a difficult year, to say the least. And then - I got a reprieve. The biggest behavior issue officially moved to a different school in the district. I got ONE glorious day - and then, I get an email.

"Parent is in agreement to move Johnny to Lily's class, starting the day we return from break."

Johnny just happens to be another BIG behavior issue. And apparently, my admin, the SPED team, and the parent feel Johnny will do better in my class since I'm more 'structured' than my teammate.

GRRRRRR.

Lily_NC_NY is offline   Reply With Quote

ih8

Old 10-15-2019, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That often happens: when someone is good at something, they get piled on. "But you're so good at..." Often they put the best teachers so they get the best scores for the school, for example. So annoying. Better stay invisible and be not too bad but not too good either. At least in this job.
ih8 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

How about
Old 10-15-2019, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Talking to the prince and suggesting that you be included as a team member BEFORE decisions about moving special needs students into your room take place.

I’d even contemplate using the words “dumped on.” Explain clearly the concept of burning out the teachers one would wish to retain in the career or at the school. If you don’t talk, your prince will assume you welcome the challenges since “you are soooo good with them.”

I might even be inclined to talk about rewarding those who can’t or won’t at the expense of those who can and do. The prince is losing the opportunity to develop appropriate management skills in the previous teacher.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Ugh...
Old 10-16-2019, 01:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used to hate it when a new student moved into the class once the rules and routines were established, especially if it was a challenging student, and for some reason, it seemed like these late arrivals always were. I hope Johnny thrives in your room and integrates well.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

caseycat

I feel your pain
Old 10-16-2019, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had a supervisor (loved her but..) would keep sending me behavior problems from other schools. She then showed up to see my class of 19 kindergarten behavior students with a part time para. I said "Welcome to casey's daycare!" Did get a full time para after that. Good luck!

caseycat is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 10-16-2019, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

How bout the train the teammate to provide more structure? 🤪
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote