Help

The VENT

It's more work to be out

>

PetsRunMyLife

It's more work to be out
Old 10-16-2019, 03:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

(There are many things I do love about my job, but.....)

I'm so jealous that my husband (not a teacher) can just text/email "not coming into work today" when he's in pain or sick, whereas I need to prep for a sub (even while in pain or sick).

I know there are worse things in life. I just needed to whine.

Thanks.

PetsRunMyLife is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

sick whine
Old 10-16-2019, 03:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

(((hugs))) oh I hear you. What other job do you have to plan your work so someone else can do it in your absence?
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-16-2019, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is indeed one of the most difficult things. I despise writing plans, especially when you come back and they weren't followed or no one showed up to follow them.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Sub
Old 10-16-2019, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sub plans stink. I used to try to write sub plans that included my next lessons so I wouldnít get behind, but found subs often didnít teach the content well so I ended up reteaching.

Now I use Scholastic News as a jump off point and find stuff to enhance the lesson of the article. Then I throw in some math games, read alouds, computer run interventions and PE. It tends to work well and I can get the plans created in about 30-40 minutes.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I agree!
Old 10-16-2019, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Even with a general sub plan template I filled in, it was a lot of work. I dreaded being out, especially since we use technology so much and we were not going to share passwords, so lessons had to be different.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 10-16-2019, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Some of y'all mention you hate it when subs don't follow the lesson plans accurately.

Well, imagine being a sub and showing up to your job with no lessons plans to follow at all. I've had that happen on multiple occasions, and I had to improvise.

Remember, us subs don't know your children or rules of your classroom like you do. We're strangers entering a foreign land.

I'm not excusing subs who blatantly refuse to follow plans. Just saying our job is not as easy as you think.

And I understand making last minute plans while sick with the flu is no picnic. I've been a teacher myself.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I subbed before I was full-time.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I hated it. It's not easy at all. But I do resent when I spend a lot of time putting together plans, only to have the sub ignore them completely.
I make very detailed plans that are simple to follow (subs have told me so). Teach A, give this for practice, teach B, give this for practice. Everything neatly labeled and put in order so all they have to do is go down the plan.
I had one sub take apart all my paperwork and just make packets, then hand them out. Then she complained that the kids didn't know what to do (um, because you were supposed to teach it!).
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 10-16-2019, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I always follow plans to the letter, even if they are badly done. Last week, I did have a teacher ask me to teach a geometry lesson and proceeded to not leave any kind of lesson as to what I was teaching. They had suggested some videos, but no specific ones and I had to decide what would be best. When those bombed, I gave the kids study hall after reaching out to the teacher and they stopped texting me.

I actually prefer teaching a lesson because I usually do hs and itís 90 minute blocks. Most teachers leave worksheets or online classroom assignments and the kids just rush through them or donít bother to do them. Even my mentor teacher in grad school admitted that she didnít bother with good sub plans, but I really like to teach. The only time it doesnít work is when I have to introduce a topic to them and they have nothing to recall. It usually ends up bombing.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

sick
Old 10-17-2019, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I know what you mean! I've often said that it's way more work to be sick than to just go into work sick. Of course, I don't want to get the kids sick, but you get the idea.

When I went with DH on a cruise and had to miss 2 days of work (I rarely miss so my principal was fine with it), it was so much effort! I told him it was ALMOST not worth it.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-17-2019, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am really feeling this in Oct. Not sick, but I am having to be out for some special PD type things. 1 and a half days next week (this week preparing after school each day), and 3 days the next week. It gets crazy!

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 10-17-2019, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Teacher:
Even with a general sub plan template I filled in, it was a lot of work. I dreaded being out, especially since we use technology so much and we were not going to share passwords, so lessons had to be different.
As a sub, I don't like it when a teacher shares their password. There is no reason that a school district can't provide log-ons to subs. I have districts that provide a user name and e-mail. Other districts provide a universal sub user name. In some districts subs are on the daily teacher e-mail list. I also like having access to the attendance system. It seems that all my districts that have Powerschool give the subs access. There is nothing worse than taking attendance from a roster and seating chart that was printed at the beginning of the year and 2-3 students listed for each class, no longer are in that class or even in the school district. I once had a girl transfer districts and I had her in both districts. She was still listed on the roster and seating chart in the old district.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote