Help

BusyBoard

All I can do is laugh.

>

MissAgnes

All I can do is laugh.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just spent 45 minutes total teaching a lesson on summarizing. Made an anchor chart, modeled with a text using a document camera (I do). Gave out a text and walked through it with them (we do), and then gave out a paper for them to work with a group (y'all do).
When I gave out the independent exit ticket, had a student ask, "What's a summary?"
I just stared at her for about a minute, then shook my head.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-16-2019, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really do think this is the biggest issue in teaching today. My guess is that there were at least 5 other kids who had the same question because they DON'T LISTEN!

I was teaching a lesson today and I had to bring the class to the meeting area to get one direction at a time. Their GE teacher was there and she made sure to tell me that half of the class "has a learning disability." I know that is bogus, because I helped make the class lists. All I wanted to do with them was to talk them through something AT THEIR SEATS one step at a time, and they couldn't listen well enough to get it done that way.

That, I believe, is on the teacher. If she wasn't babying them and making excused, even the slowest kid should be able to follow along and do something with me step by step.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Drives Me Crazy
Old 10-16-2019, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This type of thing drives me crazy! Thank you for not telling her! I swear, yes, the main problem is kids not listening. However, I also believe that sometimes we as teachers are to blame by repeating ourselves...we are feeding into it by repeating it to them. Last year, I had kids constantly ask. I kept saying, "I'm sorry, but I already answered that. I'm not repeating myself you'll have to figure out." Then of course, they'd ask another kid, who would tell them. I saw no improvement until I started to tell kids not to tell. Maybe that's mean, but seriously, why should the same ones always "get away" with not listening/hearing the directions and the same ones who do listen bail them out?
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 10-16-2019, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my job I teach teachers. Just gonna say.....there ate some that need better listening skills! I had one recently who was on her phone the ENTIRE TIME! At the end of my training she said she really didn't understand. No kidding phone addict!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

All I can do is laugh
Old 10-16-2019, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In addition, and agreement, to what others have posted, there is always the fact that it is an automatic questioning response. I don’t know why they do it, but if you take the time to ask “what did we just go over? What do you remember? Think about this?” 9 out of 10 times, they do know. But there’s this weird helplessness that overrides some of their thinking...if I ask, maybe teacher will just give me the answers.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote