Help

Teachers' Lounge

Pulling tooth-what to expect?

>

NoElephants

Pulling tooth-what to expect?
Old 10-16-2019, 06:10 PM

Poor, poor NoElephants!

My tooth just cracked open tonight. Luckily there is a dentist close to my neighborhood with late hours. Unfortunately, there was already a large cavity and dentist said itís very unlikely it can be properly repaired so I should have the tooth pulled.

I got some temporary filling material put in and will be having it pulled tomorrow. How unpleasant is this going to be?

NoElephants is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 10-16-2019, 06:17 PM

I had a tooth pulled. They numb the area pretty good. I didn't feel anything except a little pressure when it happened. After the numbing wore off, I popped Tylenol or Motrin for a day or 2 and that was it. The dr. will tell you what to take.
techgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-16-2019, 06:23 PM

No problem, really. I had 3 molars in back pulled. Easy peasy and I donít miss them. Good luck!
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Tooth
Old 10-16-2019, 06:56 PM

What the others said - yep. Don't use a straw while you are healing.
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 10-16-2019, 07:54 PM

I don't know. It could be pretty traumatic. Ya know, your arm may fall off

Seriously,it shouldn't be too bad. You've had kids! You can do this!

Last edited by teachnkids; 10-17-2019 at 04:53 AM..
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Top Cat

Old 10-16-2019, 08:57 PM

Stock up on soft foods like mashed potatoes or yogurt for the first 2 days since your mouth will be kind of sore. Milkshakes were wonderful!
No straw the first 2 or 3 days, since you don't want to develop a dry socket.
Top Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 10-16-2019, 09:33 PM

I've had four permanent teeth removed for braces, lost a back molar to a large cavity, and also had my wisdom teeth pulled. Only the wisdom teeth were a big deal, everything else was just shots for numbing and tylenol afterwards.

Coincidentally, I also had a horrible toothache and repair just yesterday. My guess is that the pain you've already experienced was WAAY worse than what you'll experience afterwards.

After several days of enduring an increasingly bad toothache before I could get to the dentist I was terrified, thinking it would be even worse after the drilling, etc. It is SOO much better.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 10-17-2019, 01:17 AM

No big deal. Start taking Tylenol or Motrin as soon as you leave the dentist office. If you start pain meds before the numbness wears off youíll keep the pain controlled and you wonít have a problem. I think the most Iíve ever needed was 24 hrs of Tylenol.

Definitely soft foods. Get Greek yogurt and add protein of some sort to mashed potatoes. I finely chop chicken and mix it with gravy to put over mashed potatoes. Scrambled eggs also work well.

Follow the advice to avoid straws. The biggest problem people have is developing a dry socket. That is very painful. Follow your dentistís advice and youíll be fine.

Iím sure youíll find the worst part of it is worrying about it before hand. Hope youíre feeling better quickly!
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 10-17-2019, 02:20 AM

For me the anxiety was worse than going through the procedure. The pain of a bad tooth was worse than the pain recovering. As a matter of fact, after the tooth was pulled, there wasn't any pain, just inconvenience for a few days waiting for my gum to heal.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I had to have one pulled
Old 10-17-2019, 04:18 AM

My dentist called in someone who specializes in just pulling teeth. He gave me tons of novacaine. The dentist was friendly and as he removed the tooth he kept saying positive things like..great, okay, now for the second part in a unconcerned, happy way. After the tooth was removed, then he told me what a large root it had and that everything that could go wrong went wrong, but now all I needed was to use salt water rinses and take over the counter pain meds. Tylenol or what ever. I found that I didn't even need the Tylenol. I hope you have someone like that!
Others have said that you should have someone to drive you home. I didn't know that. I drove 40 minutes back home, no problem. But maybe others will tell you to have a driver.

The worst part is that I didn't stock up on soft food first. My DH went to the store for me after. I will NEVER understand the great love for jello that we had in the 70s. What were we thinking? Jello salad at every holiday and celebration?!?

chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 10-17-2019, 07:15 AM

I've only had wisdom teeth pulled, right before I went to college. No problem with those being pulled, and those are harder to remove than regular molars.

Think of it this way: It's going to be a lot easier to pull a tooth with today's dentistry than the way they showed it being done in the western movie! In the olden times, one went to the barber, got a shot of whiskey, and the tooth was pulled out with pliers!

The history of dental care is rather interesting to read about, if you have some extra time on your hands to research it!

You'll be fine!
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

NoElephants

Old 10-17-2019, 03:54 PM

It wasnít a great experience, but it wasnít as bad as childbirth.

Tooth didnít cooperate and cracked apart into three more pieces. Had to drill some bone to get it all out. My crown on another tooth came off during procedure and had to be redone, and I have several stitches in my mouth, which I was not expecting.

Iím in some pain for sure but itís manageable enough.
NoElephants is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 10-17-2019, 04:57 PM

I am sorry it didn't go as well as it could have. What a bummer about the crown! Stay ahead of the pain with the Tylenol, Motrin or whatever you are taking.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote