Help

The VENT

IEP meetings

>

ICrazyTeach

IEP meetings
Old 10-17-2019, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know it is important to have a gen Ed voice in an IEP meeting. I don't mind sitting in on meetings. BUT I am so tired of sitting in meetings when I don't even know the student. I'm especially annoyed today because the student mainstreams in a teammate's room. I am stressed out, overwhelmed, and desperate for TIME. Why was I in the meeting? I'm just frustrated with the workload. It seems to be more and more all the time.

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 10-17-2019, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you just politely say 'I'm sorry, I must have been invited to this by mistake as I don't know this child. Can I just go and get Mrs Teachernextdoor for you? She knows far more than I do."
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

How can that be?
Old 10-17-2019, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you are not the classroom teacher, you shouldn't be privy to the confidential information in an IEP meeting.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 10-17-2019, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The student is in a special education classroom. We are required to have a regular education teacher at all the meetings.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 10-17-2019, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If I my child had an IEP and their regular ed classroom teacher wasn't at the meeting I'd be upset. It's disrespectful to the parents to have a teacher simply serving as a warm body at the meeting.

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Thought...
Old 10-17-2019, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes, it is important to have a regular ed teacher at the meeting, but that regular ed teacher should be the child's teacher not just a warm body.

In my district, there are no just special ed classrooms. All students are mainstreamed into regular ed classrooms, even if a special ed teacher teams with the regular ed teacher or if the child is mainstreamed with a special ed para. The child might also be on the regular ed classroom's role, but spending most of the day in a pull-out room with special ed people.

That regular ed teacher must attend IEP meetings to give feedback.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-17-2019, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Was there a specific reason your teammate didn't go to the meeting? If not, I'd be asking questions about that. The law, at least in my state (not sure if this is a state or federal thing) is that a teacher "familiar with the general education curriculum" has to be there. In emergency situations, we have used other teachers in the same grade level. Typically we'll try to reschedule the meeting if the gen ed teacher is out, but there have been a couple of times where the meeting was due and we didn't have a choice.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 10-17-2019, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
so tired of sitting in meetings when I don't even know the student.
I have had the same experience. My school houses some severe self contained classes with students who do not push in to gen ed at all because of how severely they are effected by their disability (or they only push in for PE, lunch, music class and library-none of which I go to).

Then those meetings last for 2 or more hours and I have nothing to contribute. There is no purpose in me attending a meeting to say that the curriculum and standards say that students should be writing at the multi-paragraph level when the students communication goals are things like "will hold eye gaze on communication board for 5 seconds". I dont know that kid, my knowledge of the grade level standards are too far from their goals matter, and I feel like I am drowning without being given more to do.

In situations like that it is completely frustrating. I completely get where you are coming from.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

I don't understand
Old 10-17-2019, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I teach a self-contained sped class, and you're totally right - we're still required to have a gen ed teacher present, even if that student receives all academic instruction in my room. I usually invite an elective teacher/librarian/PE teacher who knows the student. In a real pinch, a teacher who covers recess duty and sees the student interact with others is asked. And if there truly isn't someone available, than we do a written agreement to excuse that teacher.

I'm sorry this is being asked of you, it's not ok. I wouldn't go to them if I didn't know the child.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
mds2

mds2

Old 10-19-2019, 01:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Legally there must be a gen ed teacher or an agreement to be excused. This is to protect the rights of a student. I could easily see a school that wants to sequester a child away from the rest (as was done in the past) by claiming the child can't do gen ed work but never discussing gen ed work, especially those who are on IEP for more behavioral or social reasons.

However, if the child does have some gen ed classes with support, that teacher should be in the IEP meeting unless there is some dire reason they cannot such as a family emergency, out on medical leave, etc. It is in the best interest of the child (unless that teacher just happens to be the worst teacher for the child and will actually hinder the child's progress going forward which I have witnessed).

So, if this is just common practice for your school to grab anyone, it is very wrong. Warm bodies do not make appropriate educational plans.

Summerwillcom

If you are the mellowest one,
Old 10-19-2019, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

they will ask you to do it often. I sit in on IEP's too when they are not my kids. I am the 1 who doesn't make a fuss about it, so I am the 1 who gets picked.
The only reason they ask me is if the regular ed teacher can't be there for some reason. They have to have a warm body to sign.
IEP's often go on past contract hours.
They are a waste of time when you are not working w/ the kid.
I know how hard it is to get parents, admin, psych's, and teachers together at the same time to plan a meeting though.
I am not a fan of our sped dept, but out of all of us, I am probably the only 1 who will help them in a pinch.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote