Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Flu Shot: Yay or Nay Reasons...

>

eliza4one

Flu Shot: Yay or Nay Reasons...
Old 10-18-2019, 06:56 PM

I've never gotten a flu shot. Don't really "believe" in them. (For myself...).

I had to get one today because my son texted me and said I needed to get one before I flew out to see him/DIL/2 grandsons. Of course I'm going to get one with that "threat". Nor could I lie to him...

I'm curious as to those who feel strongly one way or the other with regards to getting/not getting a flu shot.

I guess I've always been opposed because:

*I never get sick (save for a freak diagnosis of TTP 3 years ago). Nothing to do with the flu...

*I grew up with no flu vaccines or chicken pox vaccines...what is different now that everyone now needs one (flu shot)?

Anyway, just curious. Surely I'm not the only one not really feeling the "must get a flu shot" message...

The things we do for our grandchildren.

Edited to add: I am NOT posting this to DEBATE/JUDGE/BE JUDGED. Just curious about people's differing opinions.

Last edited by eliza4one; 10-18-2019 at 07:20 PM..
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-18-2019, 07:01 PM

If you've ever had the flu, you would definitely want to get a flu shot. No, it's not perfect, but it may keep you from getting it or at least make it not so terrible. Your son is trying to protect his kids, and I agree with him. And there is also herd immunity for those who cannot get one for whatever reason. Why would anyone not want to be protected from illness if possible?
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 10-18-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Your son is trying to protect his kids, and I agree with him.
I'm not here to argue. I didn't say I disagreed with my son w/regards to protecting his children. I said for MYSELF I have never felt the need to get the shot.

Quote:
If you've ever had the flu, you would definitely want to get a flu shot.
Maybe. Maybe not.

Quote:
I choose to pass on the flu shot. It is my decision for my body.
That's how I feel. But, I'm willing to do so as per my son's wishes. I respect that. Thanks for posting, Amiga!

amiga13

Old 10-18-2019, 07:09 PM

I choose to pass on the flu shot. It is my decision for my body. Iím concentrating on fitness.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 10-18-2019, 07:13 PM

I'm a tough cookie and always kind of laughed off the flu, but I went ahead and got a flu shot every year because I work with a vulnerable population.

But... one year I managed to catch it before I got in for the shot. I have never been so miserably sick in my life and never want to experience that again. I laid in bed and cried I hurt so much. At 30-something I actually called my mom to come take care of me - it was that awful. I can't imagine being that sick as a child, or an elderly person.

I've broken bones, been in a nasty car accident, had multiple surgeries... I'd take all of those over having the flu again.

pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

Shot
Old 10-18-2019, 07:15 PM

I got mine last week. One, yo protect myself, and two, because there are those around me who depend on herd protection.
Coopsgrammy is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 10-18-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I've broken bones, been in a nasty car accident... I'd take all of those over having the flu again.
Interesting! Thanks for your insight. For my GS's sakes, I'm very glad I got the vaccine, then!! That's one of the reasons I posted my question. I always thought, "It can't be that bad...".

rusty

Old 10-18-2019, 07:21 PM

You've been very lucky if you've never had the flu. I was like you and never got the flu shot until I had grandchildren and it just made sense. I do whatever I can to make sure we all stay healthy. I don't think they had flu shots when I was growing up. It takes a quick visit to the drug store and I buy myself a treat after I get the shot each year. It's easy peasy and your arm is just a little sore for a day or two. I hope you enjoy your visit and your son is proud of you...and grateful.
rusty is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-18-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Edited to add: I am NOT posting this to DEBATE/JUDGE/BE JUDGED. Just curious about people's differing opinions
🤔🤔🤔
You asked for opinions from people who feel strongly about this. I just said I agree with your son. I did not judge you.

eliza4one

Old 10-18-2019, 07:27 PM

Thanks, Rusty! Shots don't bother me. Didn't hurt and don't anticipate my arm hurting tomorrow, either.

I totally respect my son and his wishes. I remember how worried they were with their newborn when the measles was going around and baby was too young to have the vaccination, yet. I totally get protecting others. And who knows...maybe it will become a yearly thing for me.

eliza4one

Old 10-18-2019, 07:30 PM

Annie~Your post came across as judgmental, imo. This: "Why would anyone not want to be protected from illness if possible?" was judgmental in nature.

If it wasn't meant to be, I apologize. I did ask for opinions and kept my question very light-hearted on purpose...

jov

I'm with pdxteacher
Old 10-18-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
But... one year I managed to catch it before I got in for the shot. I have never been so miserably sick in my life and never want to experience that again.
I had the flu 40+ years ago and I'll never forget it. Worse than my heart surgery or my broken leg. Many people think the flu is like a very bad cold. It's so much more than that. It involves every body system. It's horrible. I remember crying because it hurt so much. I've received the flu shot every year since.

For those who do not get the shot, I just ask that you keep your distance from infants, the frail elderly, and people with compromised immune systems.

Quote:
In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died.
I'm off my soap box.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 10-18-2019, 07:35 PM

Thanks for that info, jov!

annie_g

Old 10-18-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Annie~Your post came across as judgmental, imo. This: "Why would anyone not want to be protected from illness if possible?" was judgmental in nature.

If it wasn't meant to be, I apologize. I did ask for opinions and kept my question very light-hearted on purpose...
No, it was not meant to be judgmental. Sorry if it sounded that way. More that I just don't understand why people don't want to be protected. Same reason I just got the shingles vaccine. I might not ever have gotten them anyway, but now I have a much higher chance that it won't happen. And trust me, the flu is horrible. It sounds like you've never had it.

eliza4one

Old 10-18-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
And trust me, the flu is horrible. It sounds like you've never had it.
No, I haven't. I'm glad I posted this because apparently it's much worse than I imagined!

You've given me something to think about...thanks!

Keltikmom

Flu shot
Old 10-18-2019, 07:39 PM

I vote nay. Every time I got it, I had some low grade flu like symptoms for 6-8 weeks. Quite frankly, Iíd rather have the flu. Itís over and done with in a week. And yes, Iíve had the flu a few times (twice) in the last 20 years.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 10-18-2019, 07:45 PM

Iíve had the flu. Two years ago I was hospitalised for it X out of season; the shot had worn off. I am currently going through chemo for breast cancer, and would do that again over having the flu. I get the shot every year.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 10-18-2019, 07:52 PM

My husband says to get it. It is better than nothing. It will lesson the extent of it.
knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 10-18-2019, 09:30 PM

Man and I carefully get our flu shots every year to be part of the herd immunity. Boy, because he works in the food industry, gets his shot every year.

Thanks, jov, for posting those statistics. Wow, 61000 people died last year from the flu. I had no idea. I wonder how many of them were unable to get a flu shot because of compromised immune systems and how many could have had it and didn't.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

flu shot
Old 10-19-2019, 12:01 AM

DH worked for the health dept. and was required to get a flu shot every year as part of his job. I get it now because the flu would be hard with some of my other health issues. I also have friends and family with immune compromised systems due to cancer treatments and age.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 10-19-2019, 01:55 AM

I just got mine...because, Jai.

But really, I get it every year...because, I had the flu once. I was a kid, back in the day when kids got lots of nasty illnesses like measles. I remember how sick I was with measles, and I remember how sick I was with the flu. Really sick, in bed with a high (104) fever, achy and miserable, for a full week.

I have a great immune system, even though I take some meds for my RA that supposedly compromise it. I didn't even have a sniffle last winter, or the winter before. Nevertheless, why wouldn't I take a little help when it is so easy to do so?

As we age, we want to pretend that we are just as fit as when we were in our prime. But we are not. We are more at risk for flu, pneumonia, and shingles. Our immune system is not as strong. It's a losing battle, and we need some fortifications, just as we need to watch our diet more carefully and exercise more. I see these immunizations as one more way to live a healthy lifestyle.

Plus, around here, it's free if I go to the flu clinic offered at the community building in town, which is practically next door. I see all my friends there. It's relatively painless, and I even get to encourage a medical student a bit, since they give the shots.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 10-19-2019, 03:27 AM

I used to be very hit and miss but I generally get one every year now that Iím older. Actual influenza, not the ďstomach fluĒ, can be very dangerous. Itís not something I want to mess with.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 10-19-2019, 03:28 AM

When I was 33 with 18 month old twins I got bacterial pneumonia that landed me in the ICU within 2 days of feeling sick. Spent 7 days there. Was told if I had waited another 24 hours to go to doc, I might not have made It!

I missed 7 weeks of work recovering.

After that, my doc said I should get pneumonia shot every 7 years and flu shot every year. I do. It's been over 20 years now. I have only once gotten a very mild case of the flu a couple years ago. At the same time my spouse, who never gets the shot, got a full case, was out of work a week, and was sicker than ever before that week.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Flu shot
Old 10-19-2019, 04:05 AM

Yes! Just got mine last week. No side effects at all. I have grands, and want to protect them. I even got an MMR booster when my first was born. Again, to protect them.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-19-2019, 04:36 AM

I have gotten a flu shot for at least 25 years.

I’m a major fan of vaccines in general. I have had to flu twice in my life. It was terrible. It was much worse when I was older. Last year I missed nine days of school with two strains of flu and pneumonia. It also altered my kidney function, and I was several additional weeks an multiple blood tests and doctor visits to get that back to normal. I don’t have any significant chronic medical issues, but I have in the past. Contracting the flu would have been much worse during those times.

I also do it for the protection of others. Not everyone is able to get the shot. For those people, I feel it is important to help keep them from being exposed to the flu. My mom has cancer. Contracting the flu could kill her. She gets her shot, but she also has a seeker immune system. Last winter when I had the flu, I was unable to visit her for almost a month. That’s a long time to not see someone with a terminal illness.

I’m not allergic to eggs or any of the vaccine ingredients. The vaccine itself cannot make me sick.

They aren’t perfect, but for me the benefits outweigh the risks.

Last edited by Ima Teacher; 10-19-2019 at 06:44 AM..
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 10-19-2019, 04:42 AM

While doing genealogy research a couple years ago, I found 1920 census records for a third cousin, about six-years old, who was living with his grandparents. There was no mention of his parents, and I soon learned the reason. Both had died in the 1918 flu pandemic. The cousin ended up having his own family and living to a ripe old age, but it's sad he grew up barely knowing his parents.

I always get the vaccine, although in some years it hasn't prevented me from getting the flu. The most recent time was two years ago when the vaccine didn't provide much protection from the prevalent flu strains of 2017-18. My doctor still recommends it, saying that the shot does provide some protection when this happens. I agree, and the alternative might be much worse.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 10-19-2019, 04:45 AM

I have gotten a flu shot every year and just got my shingles vaccine. Also another recent one, I believe Hepatitis? I live in a populated area and am still with children so I get them. Plus, I have elderly parents so I get shots for their sake also.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Funnystory

Flu
Old 10-19-2019, 04:53 AM

I used to never get one. I thought I rarely get sick, work in a school, exposed daily, no flu except once when I was about 18. Well, a three years ago I got the flu, the real flu and wiped out 6 sick days plus two weekends and felt like I was dying. It was super hard on my body. I also have an autoimmune disease so even after I could return to work, I was so very weak.

So, the last two years Iíve gotten one just in case. Doesnít feel like it hurts me, not sure of it actually helps, but it makes me feel proactive.
Funnystory is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

every year
Old 10-19-2019, 04:56 AM

I trust my doctor and his years of medical training. He recommends it, so I get the flu shot. I also live a healthy, fit lifestyle, but that doesn't protect me from the flu virus.
frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Old 10-19-2019, 05:05 AM

If I may, a different perspective for your consideration. I have three autoimmune diseases. If I get sick, I get really sick and it prevents me from taking the medication I need to function. I do get the flu shot and Iíve also had the pneumonia vaccine.
If you get sick because you have not gotten the flu shot, you may well be able to get through it. But if I have come in contact with you during the time you are contagious, I will get very, very sick and not recover as quickly as you do. There are many, many people with autoimmune diseases, people being treated for cancer and young children with small defense systems. Please consider that if you get a flu shot, you are not just protecting yourself, you are protecting several others you cannot fight it as well.
cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

I have always been a
Old 10-19-2019, 05:12 AM

very healthy person and taught before the flu shot was given. So, my opinion was I hardly get sick, it wasn't that bad when I did.
Then a little girl was placed in my class who had compromised health problems. It hit home real quick that it isn't my body, my decision, I was making a decision that would effect every student in my class and everyone I came into contact with.
Never went without one since.

A minority of people have flu like symptoms after getting a shot, the other side effects are minimal. So, instead of why get it, I would ask, why not get it? In many schools it is free.

On the other hand flu is nasty and makes you miserable for days. What made me dedicated to getting the vaccine was a teacher my age, in perfect health, didn't have the shot, got the flu died from it.

But it is up to each individual.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 10-19-2019, 05:26 AM

I always get a flu shot for 2 reasons. First, I've had the flu once (a year that I did not get the vaccine) and never want to experience that again. It was 10 times worse than strep throat. Second, working in a school with constant exposure to other people, I don't want to take a chance of picking the flu up at work. I hate being out sick. It's so much work planning for a substitute and more so when you don't feel well.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Old 10-19-2019, 05:48 AM

I just got mine this week. I have a close relative with a compromised immune system, my doctor recommends it, and after my cancer, my system isn't the same.

A few years ago, my brother contracted the flu and pneumonia. We had him transferred to a Boston hospital within 24 hours of ER visit. He spent FIVE weeks in ICU in Boston before out of it to a regular ward. He nearly died several times. He spent five months AFTER he was out of the hospital out of work. His body was completely devastated. He went back to work part time. It was the scariest time of our lives.

I respect people's decision to do want is best for themselves. I applaud you for accepting your DS's request to help him keep his children safe even though it would not be your first choice personally.
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I always get it.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:49 AM

A lot of people I work with think that the stomach stuff that goes around all the time is the flu. They donít realize that the flu knocks every part of your body flat. I used to never get the shot. I got the flu, and had a fever for a whole week. Sometimes spiked as high as 105. My electrolytes were off for a month after the flu was gone. I only knew that because I had a checkup right after having the flu, and they checked it until the electrolytes returned to normal. I started getting a flu shot right after that and have gotten one ever since.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 10-19-2019, 05:55 AM

I got mine this year. I have gotten the flu 2x in my life. I never want to be that sick again. Even my hair hurt. I am about 50/50 for getting it. Not that Iím opposed, I just get busy etc.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-19-2019, 06:04 AM

I'm not here to judge, but to tell my experience. My immune system is crap. I'm super fit, but my body just can't fight stuff off. Being fit doesn't translate to being above infection. Add in, I teach K which means I am basically a human Kleenex for snot, tears, vomit, you name it.

I get the flu shot in October every year (got it on Wednesday) and still wind up missing 2 weeks of school every January/February. Strains A/B aren't too bad for me, but H1N1 is disastrous. I get massive hives and facial swelling. The first time it happened, I fought it for NINE MONTHS after.

I wish flu shots were mandatory for students and staff. I understand the flu might not be too big a deal for some, but it is truly a huge deal for many. I beg those of you who don't think it is necessary to just do it anyway.

This pic is from last winter when I went to the ER because my throat was closing. Note how I was SO swollen, it altered my hairline? Oh and this pic was taken 45 minutes AFTER a massive dose of Benadryl shot in my booty. Prior to that, my right eye was swollen completely shut.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 10-19-2019, 06:09 AM

I no longer get the micro-needle flu shots. Iíll get a regular one, but not those due to a reaction I had. I had a headache so bad I almost ended up in the emergency room and a silver-dollar sized patch of skin got tough and leathery for over a month.

As long as I can get the regular shot, Iím getting it. The worst Iíve gotten with that has been a slight headache and an achy throat for a few hours. I also had a much milder case of the flu last year when I did get it - up and going in five days compared to a friend who got it and was out for over two weeks.
Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 10-19-2019, 06:18 AM

No flu shots in this house except DH. DD and I have both had big reactions to shots. Not the mild illness-type that is normal, but allergic type reactions that sent us back to the doctor Luckily she has never gotten the flu and I've only had it once. It was pretty awful, though. Beause of our experiences I haven't had my other kids get the shot either.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-19-2019, 06:40 AM

We do the flu shots here. DD,dsl and dgd,dh and I. DS has yet to experience the flu so he does not see the necessity for it. DS has always had to learn the hard way. I have a friend whose dh died from the flu at the age of 58. He did not think he was sick enough to stay home from a business trip and died in his sleep.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 10-19-2019, 06:52 AM

I have gotten the flu shot every year save one for 20 years. I got the real flu that year. I've never been that sick in my life. Before or since. I was literally scared at how awful I felt.
I also help care for my elderly father. I get it for him too.
imatchr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 10-19-2019, 07:19 AM

C6g this reminded me
Quote:
Both had died in the 1918 flu pandemic.
My Dad was born in 1921 but he had two older brothers who died from that pandemic. I remember seeing their gravestones next to my grandparents.

I get the flu shot every year for many of the same reasons already listed. Iím a cancer survivor, I have a young GD and want to protect those who canít get the shot.

My beautiful GD is 5 months old and when she was born my DS asked us to get the DTP shot again. Of course we did. I think when we know more we do better for ourselves and others.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 10-19-2019, 07:42 AM

I get a flu shot, even though I only had the flu once when I was a small child, because I know that like the Titanic I am not unsinkable.

I get the flu shot to protect those more vulnerable than I am because to do anything else would be uncaring and selfish.

I get the flu shot because I associate science deniers with all those who deny facts to suit their own political preferences.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 10-19-2019, 07:42 AM

I get the flu shot to protect myself from those around me choosing not to get the flu shot.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

My husband
Old 10-19-2019, 07:58 AM

has always gotten one because he had to in the Army and now that he works as a civilian for the Army, it is still easy for him to do.

I've been hit or miss for years. However, I turned 60 this year and am still teaching. Two years ago I did not get a flu shot and it went through our school and was pretty bad. I was lucky to not get sick, but fortunately my students who did get the flu had it from siblings. They ended up setting off flu bombs in every classroom over a weekend because it was that bad there.

I got a flu shot on Tuesday. Easy, painless, and no reaction. I don't want to push my luck this year. Plus, I have a student whose father is doing chemo and I don't want to bring any extra germs his way either.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

every year
Old 10-19-2019, 08:16 AM

like clockwork, DH and I get the flu shot. I am a strong believer in vaccines.
We haven't had the flu in years and years. We have both worked in the public sector.

Last year, 2 friends died from the flu.
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Zia
Old 10-19-2019, 08:18 AM

Zia... boy oh boy, isn't that the truth!!!!

Quote:
Add in, I teach K which means I am basically a human Kleenex for snot, tears, vomit, you name it.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Flu shot
Old 10-19-2019, 08:48 AM

I haven't read the previous replies yet so I may be duplicating some, but I wanted to mention that this year's flu shot may not be as affective as people would like to think. This information comes from the World Health Organization and was published in Scientific American (Sept. 30, 2019).

The officials who select the strains that go into the vaccine look at the Southern Hemisphere where the flu first turns up to decide which to virus strains to choose. It turns out that two of the four flu viruses in this year's vaccine for the Northern Hemisphere may not be protective this winter (A/H3N2 and B/Victoria) as they do not match the strains of the viruses that are now dominant in the US.

Choosing which four viruses to combine in the vaccine is apparently a very tricky art, plus the particular virus that seems to be the hardest to predict (H3N2) is also very difficult to grow in eggs (which is how most flu vaccines are made).

So...vaccinated patients may still contract the flu. The good news is that the H1N1 and B/Yamagata virus components in the vaccine are still protective if those viruses prevail.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 10-19-2019, 08:56 AM

This is the first year I've gotten the flu shot because I live in a different country right now, and sometimes it's more difficult to access things like that here. Several years ago, I had H1N1, and I felt so bad that I was actually worried about surviving at one point. I know that's different than the A and B strands, but it was the worst I had ever felt in my life.

I think it is important to emphasize the distinction between the stomach flu (which isn't actually the flu) and real influenza.
bGracie is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 10-19-2019, 08:57 AM

When we had out flu shots this year the pharmacist said they waited several weeks this to ensure the accuracy of the flu strains the vaccine identified. I'm in my 70's and getting the flu puts me at a greater risk for serious complicatons. We understand that the vaccine may not be accurate but we understand the benefits are important to us.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 10-19-2019, 10:07 AM

I would normally never get the flu shot, I haven’t had the flu in over 20 years nor do I ever get colds. I thought last year would be bad because it was my first year in kindergarten but I wasn’t sick once. I’m going try it this year because my mom is living with me and I want to protect her. If I get any sort of flu this year, I will never get the flu shot again.

One of the reasons I don’t get it I think it’s because I feel so pushed and judged into getting it by others’ opinions. When I am made to feel bad because I believe in something, I tend to dig my heels in.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-19-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
One of the reasons I donít get it I think itís because I feel so pushed and judged into getting it by othersí opinions. When I am made to feel bad because I believe in something, I tend to dig my heels in.
What do you believe in regarding flu shots? (Not judging. Just really interested. Vaccines work. No, they don't always get the right flu strains because it's an educated guess, but the science proves they work.)

CatLove

Old 10-19-2019, 10:56 AM

I suppose I just don't believe that it is all that effective (I could very well be wrong). If I was prone to getting sick, I would have definitely been getting it. Now that I have my older mother living with me, I have decided that is the best choice. Already people on here (not you) are acting like I am being selfish for not getting it. That's being judgemental, IMO.

annie_g

Old 10-19-2019, 11:23 AM

CatLove, thanks for answering! I really don't judge. I understand people have different feelings about this. My grandson is now 17 months, and before he was 12 months and could have MMR vaccine I was so worried he would be exposed. So I guess that made me really aware of how it's not just our own health, but to help others who can't be vaccinated for various reasons. I was very relieved when he got that shot!

CatLove

Old 10-19-2019, 11:24 AM

Annie, exactly. Iíll let everybody know how I make out after my first ever flu shot .
oic

oic

Old 10-19-2019, 11:30 AM

I get the flu shot every year. I just think of it as one of the things I do for myself as part of preventive healthcare.

I read that some people can have the flu and be asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms so they donít realize they have it. Theyíll still be carriers of the virus, though, and so can spread it to others.

I have an elderly father I see often, and heís in an assisted living facility with many other vulnerable older folks. I hope my getting the flu shot will help me not spread the virus to him or anyone else there.

SusanTeach

flu shot
Old 10-19-2019, 11:38 AM

When I was 38, I got pneumonia my first year back into the classroom after being a SAHM for 9 years. The dr. told me to start getting a flu shot and pneumonia shot (every 10 years for that one, although that's changed now) due to my job. That's been almost 20 years ago and thankfully I haven't had the flu, but I also never got it before that.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherpippi

Old 10-19-2019, 12:19 PM

We're around a lot of medically complex kids including my dd. We all get the flu shot because of this.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

flu shot-yes
Old 10-19-2019, 12:57 PM

I get one every year since I'm a teacher. I have only had a mild flu once after getting the shot. I believe it's important enough.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 10-19-2019, 01:09 PM

I had the flu a couple of years ago, therefore I have gotten a flu shot since then because it really wasnít any fun.

I had shingles two years ago in my EYE! Iíd HIGHLY recommend that everyone get the Shingles vaccine, if youíve not had the chicken pox vaccine when you were younger.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-19-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I had shingles two years ago in my EYE!
I have read that shingles in the eye is excruciating! So glad I just got my second shingles vaccine. I've been trying to get this done for over a year. It is very hard to find.

Haley23

Old 10-19-2019, 02:59 PM

I got the flu my first year of teaching. I've never been so miserable in my entire life. I was living in tiny apartment at the time and I remember laying on the couch thinking about how I had to go to the bathroom, but it felt so far away and I didn't know how I was going to get there- that's how badly everything hurt. Just days of lying there being miserable. I didn't even want to watch TV or anything.

I've gotten the shot ever since. There are some years where it's not as effective as others, but I figure any help is better than nothing. Thankfully I haven't gotten it since getting the shot. I have Kaiser and they're not having them until November 4th this year, which I am mad about. That may be too late! You can bet I will be there on that date.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-19-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I have Kaiser and they're not having them until November 4th this year, which I am mad about.
Not all Kaisers are waiting. Mine has started.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
oic

oic

Old 10-19-2019, 03:39 PM

Haley23: StrangeóI have Kaiser, too, and got mine surprisingly early this time around. I happened to be getting my colonoscopy screening back in August, and they asked if I also wanted the flu shot that day. At first, I said I already got it, thinking it was for the prior season, but then learned it was for THIS season, so I said yes! My dh has since gotten his, a couple of weeks ago. I guess availability must depend on oneís region? You might ask your dr about the possibility of getting it sooner (so easy to communicate with the drs via kp. org, isnít it?) Wouldnít hurt to try!

Cat woman

Old 10-19-2019, 04:24 PM

I get the flu shot every year. I have only ever had the flu once and that was after an international air flight so there were a gazillion germs around. I was able to get Tamiflu and was only mildly ill.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

I get the shot
Old 10-20-2019, 07:22 AM

I had the flu in February of 1993. Now I get the shot every year. As a pp said, I never want to be that sick again. I distinctly remember just lying on the floor of my apartment unable to do anything and not wanting to move because of the body aches and headache. I think that if you never had the flu, you might not realize how sick you get. I also have RA and have a compromised immune system, so my doctor recommends I get it every year.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 10-20-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
If you've ever had the flu, you would definitely want to get a flu shot.
Yes. I think many people think that influenza is like the many nasty viruses out there that aren't influenza but if you've ever had the true influenza you know better. I had influenza when I was young and had a good immune system but I can definitely see how people can die from influenza. My immune system is still quite vigorous but I for sure never want to have influenza again.

Quote:
*I grew up with no flu vaccines or chicken pox vaccines...what is different now that everyone now needs one (flu shot)?
I did too and I survived but guess what? Lots of children didn't. What has changed is that we don't accept that child mortality is normal.

Another thing that has changed is that cancer is very much on the rise and, at the same time, cancer treatments are much improved so that there are many more people walking around trying to lead normal lives despite compromised immune systems.

Quote:
Edited to add: I am NOT posting this to DEBATE/JUDGE/BE JUDGED. Just curious about people's differing opinions.
Right. Well, I'm afraid that when people's decisions/opinions have the potential to threaten the lives of people I love (I've had a fair number of loved ones who had extensive battles with cancer) I can't help being a little judgy. Sorry.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 10-20-2019, 11:41 AM

Yes, I get the shot

I had the flu once and do not want to go through it again. I was single and could barely take care of myself. I called my friend for help and had her drop supplies on my doorstep.

I travel and donít want to risk getting the flu.

My mother is elderly and I donít want to put her at risk.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-20-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Haley23: StrangeóI have Kaiser, too, and got mine surprisingly early this time around. I happened to be getting my colonoscopy screening back in August, and they asked if I also wanted the flu shot that day. At first, I said I already got it, thinking it was for the prior season, but then learned it was for THIS season, so I said yes! My dh has since gotten his, a couple of weeks ago. I guess availability must depend on oneís region? You might ask your dr about the possibility of getting it sooner (so easy to communicate with the drs via kp. org, isnít it?) Wouldnít hurt to try!
Yeah, it totally depends on the region. The reason I said that was because Eliza and I are in the same area- now I realize that probably didn't make sense to anyone else . We originally got an email saying they were available, and then a couple of hours another email saying that wasn't for our region and that they'd be ready November 4th. You can go in early if you have a more pressing reason to get the shot, and it's possible they offer it to others who are just there for other reasons, but I have no other reason to be there right now. The walk in shots are starting on the 4th.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote