Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I feel old

>

Zephie

I feel old
Old 10-19-2019, 02:04 PM

I know Iím not old, but Iím in my mid thirties and visiting my old high school to watch their band competition.... the one that started 20 years ago when I was a junior in high school. I walked around campus a bit before the gates to the stadium opened (campus is made of a series of unconnected wings). Honestly I kinda wanted to cry a bit. It is now the local middle school since the ďnew high schoolĒ was built a few years back, but to me it is still PHS. I made a lot of good and bad memories in those halls - except DD wing because I never had a class in that one.

I talked with the band director for a few minutes before the crowd started getting here. We talked about my freshman class being his first freshman class and all the traditions that were created in the 7 years my brother and I were part of the band (he was 3 grades behind me so we had 1 year of overlap). He asked me about work and life and reminded me of some of the stupid things I did as a teen in his band.

I think the world needs more band directors like him. He knew every single one of his 150+ marching band kids each year and always had a positive word for us. He has kept up with many of us over the years and gone to a few former band kids funerals to make sure ďhis kidsĒ were alright. I think he could get onto me even now for something Iíve done wrong and Iíd feel guilty. He called me on my crap a lot as a teen.

First band should take the field soon. The stands are getting full on the spectator side and the band side. I canít wait to see what show my alma mater has to show off tonight.

Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

1959mm

Old 10-19-2019, 03:15 PM

Good post.. thanks for sharing.

On another note, DH was supposed to go to his high school reunion tonight. He has been every 5 years for the last 40 years. He told me last night he felt like he had "outgrown" it and decided not to go this year. I guess it was another way of saying he felt old too.
1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-19-2019, 03:26 PM

Memories really are precious, arenít they?

Iím 68 and every single day I think how lucky I am to have the life Iím living right now and the memories I treasure.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 10-19-2019, 07:29 PM

What a special and meaningful evening you have had! Your band director sounds like a very special person. My band director in HS was the similar. We even called him our "band dad"! I hope you enjoyed the show!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote