Help

Writing & Language Arts

Please help w/Words Their Way

>

amy78735

Please help w/Words Their Way
Old 09-24-2012, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just started using WTW in my classroom and am pretty happy with it so far. I do have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have a pretty advanced group of spellers (3rd grade) and after I assessed them most of them are in the syllables/affixes stage. I have a few in the within word stage. So, I've noticed that the sorts in the syllables/affix book do not cover short/long vowels, I'm assuming bc kids who test in this stage have already mastered those concepts. But what do I do about my state standards that say I have to teach long/short vowels? For those of you that use WTW, do you combine it w/your state's reading adoption? On one hand, I feel like teaching them something they already know, is a waste of time, on the other hand I want to do what I'm supposed to be doing! I hope this question makes sense!

amy78735 is offline   Reply With Quote

friskykitty

Old 09-25-2012, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The whole point is to teach word study developmentally. If the child tests in SJ, they've mastered long and short vowels. I would think if you can demonstrate that the child has mastered it this is a non-issue.
friskykitty is offline   Reply With Quote

nelscout

syllables/affixes
Old 10-02-2012, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use WTW (gr. 2/3) and have some students using Syllables/Affixes. The sort that we are on this week we have been talking about the long vowel/ short vowel sounds and how they are broken into syllables. minute, reason, pilot for example.

I would love to know what you do during the week for activities.
nelscout is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Our week
Old 06-28-2013, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not a huge fan but we have to use it. I feel it is more of a word recognition program and not a spelling program.

Day 1 we cut and try to sort. While one group is cutting and maybe trying to sort, I teach the other group the lesson. Then switch. More than two groups was a nightmare!

Day 2 they sort then write their words.

Day 3 is speed sort. I use my phone or iPad stopwatch and they sort as fast as they can. Then they buddy/blind sort. One partner reads the words and the other partner says where it goes. Then they switch.

day 5 they write sentences using the words.

Day 5 they sort and glue the words. ( whatever ones they have left and haven't lost on the floor, in their desks, etc.!)

I also send the word list home for spelling homework.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

assess long vowel patterns
Old 06-28-2013, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Be careful that you aren't placing them too high. They need to be using the long vowel patterns in their writing. In addition to the Spelling Inventory, there is an assessment after each group of sorts. I would give the higher kids the long vowel assessment, as they might need review on the "other" long vowel patterns. Also, once the sorts get more challenging, we were told to put the kids on a 2 week cycle, so they only get a new sort once every 2 weeks so they have time to use and internalize the patterns. That will also give you time to make sure they know the vocabulary- it's not unusual for the kids to know how to spell the words, but they haven't a clue what they mean (and they don't care to ask!)

Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote