How to get books when you donít have money

>

Nick49

Nick49

How to get books when you donít have money
Old 01-08-2018, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi guys,
I want to update and diversify my schoolís collection of class sets of novels. The books we currently have are old, in tatters, and represent almost exclusively a euro-American post-enlightenment point of view. I currently have my heart set on buying a set of Paulo Coelhoís ďThe Alchemistď.
Unfortunately, for some reason, our English department has no money.
Do any of you know of ways to acquire class sets with little to no funds?

Thanks,
Nick

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-08-2018, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you teach in a public school you can either do a Donorís Choose project or Adopt a Classroom. Iíve found Donorís Choose projects for books tend to get funded fairly quickly. Iíd do several smaller projects (a couple hundred dollars at a time). There are some hoops to jump through (thank you notes, etc) but itís well worth it.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

tarafarah7

Books w/o funding
Old 04-09-2018, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also work in a school that has no available funding and a high need for books that engage our students. None of the ideas listed below are a quick fix.. it's an ongoing SLOW process, but over time it has made a difference in building a classroom library. Here are some things I've done that have had positive results:

1. Entered contests and giveaways for books aimed at the specific age group. I entered TONS of them, and I entered EVERYWHERE online. In fact, I entered so many, keeping up with the email was near impossible (because if you enter to win a 10-pack of new release YA novels, ALL the authors in the giveaway add you to their newsletter list, which then results in more and MORE giveaways than I had ever anticipated). If you choose to do this, I recommend you opening a separate email account JUST for this. If may not seem that big of a deal, but over the course of 2 weeks of entering, I was swamped with email and I couldn't find anything and I had no clue if we won or lost. Right as I was about to give up, we won our first set of books! My students were super excited, so we started an after school club (The Book Building Bengals) where we would meet up 2-3 days a week for 30min and record every single contest we entered, so we could go back and track if we won or not did not. Over the course of the school year, we won so many! I was quite impressed! (But, it is a lot of upkeep!).

2. Goodreads has tons of giveaways, all day, every day. The best part is you don't need to do anything except enter. The book is automatically mailed to you if you win (b/c you enter your mailing address when you enter). It isn't as easy to win b/c so many people enter, but once I started leaving book reviews, I won frequently. They are usually new releases or ARCs (an advanced copy not yet released), but it is always for only one book at a time. Once again, winning every now and then kept us motivated to keep going (you will have dry spells though....).

3. Join Facebook reader groups. Authors have teams/groups that fans can join. They always have perks, freebies, online discussions, and flash giveaways. Once some of the authors heard our story/situation, they were super giving! A couple of them got us in touch with their publishers and one author sent us 12 copies of her new book and offered to skype with oir after school club. Everyone also sent us cool book swag advertising their books...bookmarks, pencils, magnets, tote bags, etc. We have so much of it that I give away this year as prizes to kids. My one recommendation would be to join groups of less known authors. There are so many out there who have written books, but have never sold a copy. They were thrilled to find out my students were interested in their novels and were more than happy to help. Famous/Well known authors do not have time to fully interact with closed Facebook groups. They just use their public profile for all to see (and they probably do not even run their own site). It was too much time and energy on our part, so we decided to stick to the authors that paid attention to us. The kids found a bunch of new books and authors , many of them to this day are their favorites.

4. Garage sales - They are older books, but you can probably buy an entire boc of books for $2 if you ask.

5. Goodwill or Bargain Book Shops - old books, new books, every kind of book imaginable...they have it and they are cheap.

6. Poster and letters asking for donation requests - Send to businesses, newsletters to parents, etc. You will get some books.

7. I've created lists filled with books of each genre on Amazon (I add to it whenever a student gives me an author/title/genre). My Amazon app alerts me whenever the price drops. Every now amd then, books that cost $12-15, will drop down to $2.25. Ive learned that when this happens, I have to buy right away. I buy 1-2 new books a month this way. It will seem like the prices will never drop, but with patience and some luck, they will. However, we have had some books on our list for over a year that have never dropped. I use money from our classroom pop can collection to buy the books.

I hope this was helpful! Good luck! :-)
tarafarah7 is offline   Reply With Quote

qamar

Old 05-22-2018, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Lots of books at garage sales but you aren't sure which titles you're gonna get. You can also buy them online for second hand at a cheaper price. Maybe also post on Craigslist and someone might be willing to donate some books.
qamar is offline   Reply With Quote

JunieBTeacher

Free
Old 06-26-2018, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Teachers can request free class sets of Ayn Rand's novels if they agree to teach them. My school teaches "Anthem" each year.

JunieBTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote