Help

Substitute Teachers

Principal took over my class

>

Sirsubalot

Principal took over my class
Old 01-31-2019, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today would have been a good day to keep my 5th period prep. It was attached to lunch in the pouring rain, but instead of spending a cozy 90 minutes in class, I had to walk all the way across campus in the heavy rain to work during prep.
Some students entered loud, with one guy throwing an airplane, and a couple others jostling.
They were starting to get settled when a tall man stepped into the room and looked around, but didn't say anything. The noise probably got his attention. He left after a minute or two.

After about five minutes, when things had mostly quieted down, another fellow with a more professional demeanor, who I am guessing was the Principal, came in and walked to the front of the class and said he was taking over the class.
He just asked what they were supposed to be working on, and I said a few work related comments to the class and departed.

I am already off the location list for three other schools in this district for reasons that were never explained to me. I hope this does not make it four.

At least they let me go back to my scheduled classes the rest of the day.

I recently wrote the sub tech again this year to see if she could now get me back to these three schools, or tell me who to contact, but she did not respond.

Maybe I need to find someone else to contact.

Last edited by Sirsubalot; 01-31-2019 at 05:52 PM..
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-31-2019, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Two people came in? The tall man that entered first wasn’t the one who took over? (I had a hard time following.)
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 01-31-2019, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am guessing that the first man who came in was a faculty member who was walking by when the noise got his attention.

I surmise that he reported the noise to the Vice Principal or Dean who decided to take over the class.

I checked the school roster and discovered that the Principal is a woman, so this fellow was either the Vice Principal or Dean.

I just corrected the original post to make it less confusing.

Ima Teacher

Old 02-01-2019, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Okay. That makes more sense.

I don't like to intervene in someone else's class, but I have (a few times) gone into a classroom when a sub was there because the class was completely out of hand. It happens sometimes.

You also said that you had to cover the class during your prep time. Could it have been that the person who came in was originally scheduled to cover that period? Our building runs three different schedules. Sometimes there needs to be an in-between person to cover for a few minutes before the scheduled person is out of class.

If things go well otherwise, I'd not think one incident would make a difference unless there was a liability issue.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 02-02-2019, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was notified during first period that I would need to cover this class. Each teacher teaches five of seven periods with two preps. and this plan began with period three.

I knocked on the door during my 2nd period prep to check on the lesson plans.

There was a woman on the phone in the room with no students, so I am guessing this was the teacher, since there were no lesson plans for Period 1.

She either did not hear my knocks, or more likely did not want to bother getting up for a stranger or student.

I am quite sure it was either the Vice Principal or the Dean that took over the class, since none of the teachers were dressed in a suit and tie, and this fellow was.