Substitute Teachers

American Revolution

>

jepjcp5334

jepjcp5334

American Revolution
Old 03-03-2019, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a sub working a 6 week job for adult learners. The problem is my students have only been in this country for 9 mos. to 1 year and speak only a little English. Plus I have only a week to cover the American Revolution. Videos are out because they don't understand them.I have taught them to draw timelines so I thought I would start there. Any other suggestions?

TAOEP

Old 03-03-2019, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You could still use some videos, or probably better would be video clips. Before showing the clip talk about what they will be seeing. Teach a couple of key vocabulary terms. Then show the video clip, possibly even with the sound muted. Having the visual image can help with memory of the concept.

Include information about major people, such as George Washington and Alexander Hamilton.

Don't forget that your students may well know a great deal about revolutions. Some may have come to the US because of revolution in their own countries. This could turn out to be an emotionally sensitive topic.

You might also want to look at citizenship test questions because that might help you to decide what content to include.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote