Help

Substitute Teachers

valid teaching credential

>

northcalsub

valid teaching credential
Old 02-25-2019, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In response to a previous thread from luv2teach 2017, how is a person with a high school diploma only, able to review my classroom performance. The state I live in has given me a teaching credential certifying I have passed all requirements to teach in a classroom; if I were hired to do so.

northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-25-2019, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What thread?
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

northcalsub's question
Old 02-26-2019, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you read the entire thread ("anonymous negative reviews"), you'll see that I'm referring to my experience as a substitute teacher with a particular district.

Unfortunately, having a credential does not shelter you from a district's unethical practices, especially if you are a substitute teacher. In the case I mentioned, IAs were encouraged to "tattle" on substitute teachers if they weren't "getting along" with that teacher. The principal would fill out and sign a "substitute teacher performance review" form, merely documenting the IA's allegations. The principal would not bother to speak to the teacher in question, investigate the claims, or even identify the IA as the source. This is being done in an effort to stop the turnover in IAs by placating unhappy IAs. This practice is unprofessional, irresponsible, damaging, and a just plain terrible (and probably illegal) strategy.

You are right. IAs are not teachers and are not in the position to evaluate a teacher's job performance. They certainly shouldn't be given the green light to commit character assassination due to dissatisfaction with their job, a personal grudge, or dislike of substitute teachers in general.

If you are or are planning to work as a substitute teacher, make sure you are aware and informed. Before you sign on with a district, you would be wise to ask about what processes are in place for reviews and complaints regarding substitute teachers. If the district allows for anonymous reviews/complaints, I'd suggest avoiding that district!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 02-26-2019 at 09:57 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
SubBud

SubBud

This issue causes problems.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In your response, they're not qualified to do so. Like I've pointed out in a previous thread...There are too many positions which require no college education as well as minimal to no education or corporate experience. They have placed this type of caliber above substitute teachers. In one of my districts, the sub supervisor is an example. The sub coordinators answer to them and the substitute teachers answer to the sub coordinator. Only a GED is required for the sub supervisor position that pays just under 50 K a year. It makes no sense and does cause issues. This is because both of the previous positions I have mentioned have the power to either block or fire a sub from the district. It's just plain crazy and I've seen this happen a few to many times to qualified professionals as well as certified teachers. I really think it's high time to re-examine this hierarchical structure for sure.