Help

Substitute Teachers

Run, Forrest, Run!

>

mrsd5

Run, Forrest, Run!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yesterday, I was in the office (middle school) letting them know that I was heading out for food. There was a student in there, sitting in the chairs. Said "hi" and then went to my car. A parent pulled up, so I assumed she was picking up her child. As I got to the car, the student (formerly in the office) came out the side entrance, closely followed by the AP in shirtsleeves. It was 9 degrees out. As I pulled up to him, he made the "Phone" sign. I called the office to let them know what was happening. They assumed the boy had permission to go to his locker down the hall where he came outside. Nope. So I circled around to offer a ride. AP said it was covered. I guess he took off after the student and left his phone on his desk. Oops. Mom and principal drove over and picked them up about 4 blocks from school. Didn't see the student at school today. Hmmm..... AP thanked me profusely for calling the office and circling back to make sure everything was okay. Subbing can be weird.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 03-06-2019, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Reminds me of the time I saw a first grader wandering the halls with a iPad. I knew that the kid was a known
entity at the school, so I engaged him in conversation while I called the office. A very astute office manager got the principal. Turns out his teacher let him go to the restroom, on the way back he walked into an unlocked computer lab and took it off the charger. I found out at the end of day, his plan was to slip it in his backpack.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Well done!
Old 03-07-2019, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ah, yes... the powers of observation--and a willingness to step in (or up)! I've called the office when leaving when I've seen adults I don't recognize wandering around... or actually gone up to that adult to find out who they are and what they are up to... If we want our schools to be a community we have to act like they are... even subs.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

I hear you!
Old 03-08-2019, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Last year, one of the 7th grade boys was riding his bike down the train tracks. I saw him as I was driving by as I headed home. Called the school. The secretary sent the cops. The boy got a good talking to and lunch detention. Parents weren't happy. They would have been sadder if he'd been hit by a train, which was pointed out to them.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote