Help

Substitute Teachers

“Fortnite” as an attention getter—@SubMan

>

mooba1

“Fortnite” as an attention getter—@SubMan
Old 03-06-2019, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This a a follow up to SubMan’s post, “Getting the attention of the class”. He said he noticed if he said the word “Fortnite”, the chatty class stopped to listen. I commented and said I would test his theory this week.

Well. I had 4th grade today, and with Spring Break next week, the natives have picked up the scent of impending freedom. Instead of one of my usual attention getters, I simply said in a quiet voice, “Fortnite”. Fully half the class froze, and a boy sitting nearby said, “I’m listening!” Gee, if only we had the influence of these *#@%&! video games.

I have 2nd grade on Friday, and this year’s crop has been quite a challenge in many ways. I’ll test “Fortnite” on them and report back. I’m very interested in using it with this group, since every casual conversation they have seems to make mention of that video game. Stay tuned.

mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 03-07-2019, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This would probably work in 1st grade, too. Yesterday, I was supposed to read out loud a "book" a 1st grade boy had written about being inside the video game Fortnite. I got a couple pages in and there was talk of weapons, enemies, killing, etc...I turned to the aide and asked, "I probably shouldn't continue reading this, should I?" She agreed. So I complemented the boy on his writing skills and told the class I would have the teacher look it over to see if she wanted to continue reading it. Whywhywhy are parents letting their 6 year olds view this???? Personally, I didn't even know what Fortnite is about so I looked it up when I got home, then asked my 19 yr old son is if it involved killing, he said yes, that was all I needed to know.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 03-07-2019, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, suddenly all I was hearing from the kids was Fortnite, ad nauseum. Had to do some research and found what you did, that it’s just more crap designed to brainwash and desensitize kids to violence. Can you tell I’m not a fan of videogames? Ugh.

mooba1

Update
Old 03-08-2019, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As it turned out, today (Friday) went very well w/ 2nd grade. I decided not to rock the boat by quietly saying, “Fortnite” to get students to stop and listen. Teaching this group is akin to having a roomful of dogs, with someone yelling, “SQUIRREL!” every 2 minutes. It takes very little to have this group of kids swinging from the rafters, and I just wasn’t up for that today.

mrsd5

mooba1
Old 03-08-2019, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had a class like this yesterday. 6th grade ELL. The boys would start working, but if the aide or I started talking (helping other students or asking each other how to help with the activity), it was "SQUIRREL!" and off task. Sigh..... One boy said he was going to tell his mom on me because I had asked him to stop being goofy and get to work. I told him to go ahead, because I would LOVE to tell her about his behavior. He was almost an angel after that.

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-09-2019, 12:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I tried this with varying success. One 3rd grade class thought I wanted to talk to them about Fortnite. All the boys wanted to share their Fortnite stories. The girls all had looks of “do we have to hear about Fortnite, again?!” So we did some math which all children enjoy.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote