Help

Substitute Teachers

sick pay with multiple districts

>

Sirsubalot

sick pay with multiple districts
Old 03-05-2019, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have had to use up all three sick days in one district over a three week period due to an awful sore throat and laryngitis. I used one additional sick day in another district.

Tomorrow, I am going to enjoy a root canal at 3 PM, so I cancelled my job for tomorrow at my 3rd district, where I have not used any sick days yet. I wrote our sub tech to explain why I will file for a sick day.

However, I picked up a job in my first district because class lets out at 1:30, so I have time to make my root canal appointment after school. I therefore will not need the sick day.

I was wondering, however, what would happen if I still filed for a sick day while working in another district.

I would never do this since I have my scruples, but I am curious to know whether I could get away with it, or whether any investigations are done by the state or their districts to guard against this.

Any thoughts? I am simply curious.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-06-2019, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not sure.

Here in PA no work equals no pay.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

Old 03-06-2019, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Here in PA no work equals no pay.
Same here in WI. I work in a lot of different districts but for one agency. I can't imagine how it would even work. The agency would charge the district when we couldn't work and then try to find another sub? Idk... The districts already have to pay a lot for us. More than they pay the regular teachers I think..

I figure not getting paid when I can't work is just part of the job. On the other hand, in six years I've only taken a day off once. When I had my own classroom I took plenty of sick days. It was way more stressful.
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-08-2019, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'd say you have a great entrepreneurial spirit and a keen instinct for spotting opportunity. My question is...why on earth are you wasting your talents on subbing?

In my case, I ran into trouble trying to get even my CA state mandated 3 days of sick leave because that district had tried to override the law with their own shady misinterpretation.

I am glad to hear you work with districts that are savy about state law and give subs their sick leave due!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-08-2019 at 10:01 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 03-08-2019, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My main district tried to hide sick pay from subs by " forgetting" to send us the memo that explains how sick pay works.

They cheated me out of $250 by not sending me the memo.

I was very sick for two days, and therefore did not accept any assignments. I therefore had no jobs to cancel and did not get paid. The district refused to pay me when I pointed out to them that I did the right thing by not taking assignments when I was sick, but they still refused me.

This is an unethical loophole that would not exist if we were able to accumulate sick pay and get paid for days we do not use, but if we do not use it, we lose it.

It is no accident that most subs did not get this memo explaining how sick pay works.

I wrote the author of AB 1522 to explain the unfairness of how districts abuse the law, but got no response.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-09-2019, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
My main district tried to hide sick pay from subs by " forgetting" to send us the memo that explains how sick pay works.

They cheated me out of $250 by not sending me the memo.
Yep...I totally understand what you mean. I don't blame you for getting what's due you. Not at all.

My primary district "forgot" the memo too. And then when I asked about it, they sent me their own "version' of the law rather than a copy of the official state-issued verbiage. When I compared the two, I could see that the district's version tacked on an additional lengthy waiting period before eligibility. When I pointed this out to them, they caved and gave me my sick leave, but then followed HR's retaliation via bogus anonymous negative reviews!

In hindsight, I'd say it's best to read their manual and inquire about their policies before signing on with a district (I mentioned this in another post also).
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote