Help

Substitute Teachers

Off the list!

>

ricethought

Off the list!
Old 01-12-2019, 01:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently discovered this forum and could not be more delighted...or not delighted to see how RELATABLE so many posts are. It's good to know I am not alone in my struggles to be a sub. I am young--only 22 and been subbing for five months. Its the toughest job I have ever had. Talking it out with my family helps, but they just can't relate.

I took a roving job for the first time, and didn't quite understand how it works. I was given two sub schedules, and I followed the wrong one. I went to the next class 15 min late because I was writing a note for the last. I didn't realize I was late until I walked to the class and the teacher was standing outside his door yelling across the school "WHERE IS MY SUB?" I said "hello sir I am here" and he proceeded to yell "where have you been? you are fifteen minutes late. I dont even have time to explain the lesson plan--you'll have to figure it out for yourself." Yes. he screamed at me in front of his fourth grade students. He was a pretty tall elderly man. I am a small woman. I had no control after that. I held back my tears and waited until lunch to talk to an administrator. Before I could speak of the incident, i burst into tears and the principal ended up getting involved. They assured me the teacher would not be back and I would not have to deal with him again. But in the last ten minutes of class, he suddenly showed up with a very, very forced apology IN FRONT OF THE STUDENTS. I have never felt more humiliation and anxiety. Not going back to that school.

ricethought is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-12-2019, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Roving subs are probably a little different at every school. When we have roving subs it is because we have a special meeting to attend. Being 15 minutes late could be a really big deal, when most of the time we only have an hour for the meeting! It isn't necessary to yell at a sub, so the teacher was not appropriate at that - but handing off what is happening in a class is also tricky on those days. I try to plan mine so that I have done the instruction piece and the kids are working. Then I can have things written out for the sub to look over and take over. But due to the timing, sometimes that doesn't work. Sometimes a sub is coming in right at the beginning when I have to run out. Good teachers handle that so a sub can get acclimated. Maybe by having students work on a bell ringer or reading to self. Awesome subs have tricks, too, when they need a minute to read through plans and figure out what is happening. They ask an intriguing question and have kids turn and talk, or something similar.

I wouldn't worry about too much in the way of detailed plans for teachers on those days. Most of the time, they will come back in, see where the kids are and take over from there. It is more important to be where you need to be on time.

If you choose to take another of the jobs, if something doesn't make sense, ask in the office. Having 2 different schedules doesn't make sense. I wonder if a second sub didn't show up or didn't have a schedule to follow?
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 01-12-2019, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iíve done roving assignments, and it can be a little tricky, particularly when a teacher is delayed in getting back to the class, and you canít leave to go to the next one until he/she gets there to relieve you.

Having 2 schedules definitely sounds like a miscommunication somewhere along the line. If it comes up again, verify with the office which schedule youíre supposed to follow. That shouldnít have happened to you, but people make mistakes, get frustrated, and react in the heat of the moment. You can only do the best you can.

Donít let one negative experience keep you away from this school if you like it. It sounds like the P backed you up, so thatís a very good thing. You may want to give the teacher who yelled at you a wide berth, though. No doubt he also felt humiliated at having to apologize to you in front of the class.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 01-12-2019, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I rove for several classes, I rarely leave a note. Maybe if I'm in the class for 2 hours, I'll jot a couple sentences down. Additionally, if one teacher's meeting runs overtime there is nothing I can do about being late for the next teacher's class. Luckily, nobody has ever yelled at me.

I wouldn't let that teacher keep you from working at that school. You may have some very good experiences in other classes and with other teachers.

When I first started subbing (eons ago) I couldn't find a classroom so I stuck my head into a room to ask a teacher where it was. This was before school started. He was meeting with a group of students and was so rude to me for interrupting his meeting. It was humiliating. And he didn't even listen to my question. I did not stop going to the school, though. That was when I was in my 20s. If it happened now I would not slink away like I did then; be assured I would say something about his behavior in front of the students. Ahh, if we could only go back.

Keep subbing, you will get the hang of it. Most teachers are not rude like the one you encountered, at least in my experience.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 01-12-2019, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Roving assignments are my favorite assignments, I wish I got more than just two a year.

Of corse i have been doing this for 21 years, so I have still had a lot of roving assignment.

At least 90% of roving assignments do not coincide with the schedule you are given. This is because most meetings run longer than the schedule estimates, so on average, I arrive about 15 minutes late to each class.

The teachers know this happens, so I have never had a teacher ask why I am late. They already know.

Do not let this one twit dissuade you from taking a roving assignment.

I am baffled about your "wrong schedule".

Different roving schedules have different classes on them, so if you picked up , or were given the wrong schedule, how did you end up in the right class, albeit 15 minutes late?

Do not let this one twit keep you from going back to this school.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 01-13-2019, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm sorry you had such a rough time. Unfortunately, your experience sounds all too familiar. I personally avoid roving jobs because it's a total gamble. You don't know in advance what classes you'll be assigned to, the schedules are often messed up, and sometimes the teachers are not prepared for a sub either.

The last roving job I took, a teacher snapped at me in front of his students when I arrived to relieve him. He insisted he didn't need a sub (even after I showed him his name on my schedule). I left his room and simply told the office about it. Then I took a welcome break till time for the next class. That helped ease the annoyance I felt.

As a guest teacher, I have a few times been rudely scolded by various school staff. Yes it always bothers me, but I try to keep calm. It's never acceptable for anyone to be abusive towards us, but as a professional, it's better to keep our cool and not take it too personally. Then if there's something we need to do about the situation, we will be able to do it with a level head.

Substitute teaching is definitely not an easy job. But for a young person such as yourself, it can be a powerful training ground for developing good communication and people skills as well as coping strategies. Those are valuable tools and life skills that will serve you well, regardless of your chosen future career.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 01-14-2019 at 12:28 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote