Help

Substitute Teachers

Sometimes life hands you lemons

>

mrsd5

Sometimes life hands you lemons
Old 01-22-2019, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Other days, it's delicious lemonade. I took a half day job today as I had to take my sister to the hospital in the afternoon for a colonoscopy. As the weather looked more and more treacherous, I texted her that I didn't think the 40 minute drive looked safe. She was able to get a friend to take her. A few minutes later, the secretary called the classroom and asked if I could sub the rest of the day for another teacher, so I said yes. I only live 10 minutes from school, and even though it was looking like slippery roads, I have driven those roads for 20 years. Then, an announcement came over the intercom to check emails, so I called the office. Super-secret email was that school was dismissing at 12:30. This was at 10:00. The kids weren't told until about an hour later. So....I got a full day pay for just over a half day's work. The secretary said it wasn't my fault, so I don't just get paid for the extra hour. YAY! Sweet, yummy lemonade!

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Interesting
Old 01-23-2019, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I was a child, we had a rainy day schedule with no recesses and an hour earlier release, but many/most mothers weren't working way back then.

These days such an early release must throw families into chaos and stress. Unless the whole city was advised to shut down and send workers home, how do the families deal with child care? How are parents advised that their kids are unattended at home or along the street returning home?
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Smaller district, so...
Old 01-23-2019, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

...if kids just can't go home (middle/high school), they are watched until an approved person picks them up. Elementary schools have an after school program for some kids that is opened early. Other kids go to the park district program (bused). And office personnel watch those few who are stuck at school. In the Midwest, it's just a way of life. This is only the second time I can remember in the past 20 years that they've done early dismissal, though.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote