Substitute Teachers

Scared to leave my job to start subbing

>

Ms.H.P

Ms.H.P

Scared to leave my job to start subbing
Old 02-05-2019, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I work full time at a warehouse to keep my bills paid while also working part time as an after school teacher for fun and teaching experience. Iím prepared to quit my warehouse job and start subbing but Iím terrified. Worried to leave a job I worked 5 days a week to sub and probably work less days = less financial stability. Worried about summer break which means no work. I really want to quit my job because Iíd be happier teaching but Iím scared of the change. Can anyone else relate ?

Sirsubalot

Old 02-06-2019, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Keep in mind that your yearly earnings will probably be under $25,000 per year if you work every day, and could be considerably less if you do not.

If I worked every day at my highest paying district, the theoretical maximum I could earn is

150 x 180 days, or $ 27,000 per year.

Unfortunately, it is the district that pays only $125 daily that has work available every day.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Donít
Old 02-06-2019, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Subbing is RARELY teaching! It is babysitting kids that you can rarely discipline.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Not recommended
Old 02-06-2019, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you need a decent and steady income, this is not the job for you. It pays poorly and you have to put up with a lot of disrespect and mistreatment too.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 02-07-2019, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As someone who loves to teach, I understand the attraction! Personally, I find the opportunities to teach while subbing are far greater than some suggest but will admit that some of that comes from the fact that I'm experienced and known by the teachers I sub for...

As others have suggested, you need to "run the numbers." Subbing will not be fun if you cannot pay the bills. In addition to unpredictability, you'll have school holidays and vacations when there is no income. I'm in an extremely low paying district. Even at the top end of the sub pay scale, the absolute most I could earn in a year is about $14,000. Please do some research before you jump ship.

Until you're confident the dollars work, I'd look for ways to satisfy the urge to teach, including your current after school position. You might also look into some tutoring? Many organizations (4-H, Scouting, etc.) are desperate for volunteers--especially those who can teach.

Another path I might suggest is looking into an ed-tech/para position. (They are called different things depending on where you are.) The pay may not be great, but it will be "full time" work, at least during the school year. As someone with after-school teaching experience, you may find you have a "leg up" as a candidate.

Good luck!

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

OneGreatSub

If you want to work with kids in a school
Old 02-07-2019, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

setting, look for an aide (para) position. It may not pay great, but it's steady work and you will be at least helping with teaching as opposed to haphazardly babysitting, which is a lot of what subbing is. In my district, classroom aides are paid pretty well, and many have been around for years while subs come and go.
OneGreatSub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Aides' job may not be better
Old 02-08-2019, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In the districts where I've worked, there's a lot of turnover in aides as well. They are not teachers. They are there to assist special ed students. The pay is low and it can be very tedious.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Lenment

Lenment

Don't Quit Your Regular Job
Old 02-11-2019, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sub here and there. You'll eventually find out what assignments you like and ones you don't like. Don't quit your other job if possible. You'll need it to supplement the days that you don't sub. Subbing pays very little.