Substitute Teachers

para interview

>

substeph

para interview
Old 02-24-2019, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi:
Just wondering if any of you have interviewed for a paraprofessional position. I honestly don't want a one on one aide. I would do a teaching assistant position. I have an interview for a para this week but I don't know exactly what it entails. I will have to find out at the interview. I only applied because it's a really good district and pays well but I'm now second guessing thinking if I get it that it would ruin my chances of picking up a possible LTS or even a teaching position.

Has anyone taken a para job and had anything positive come from it? Thanks in advance.

substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

I was a grade level aide
Old 02-24-2019, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I subbed for several years, then was asked if I'd like to take on an aide position. The money was about the same as subbing AND I'd get insurance. I was a 7th grade aide for resource students. LOVED it. Two years later, they offered me an 8th grade teaching position, which I accepted. The same thing happened with the 8th grade aide. I taught in that school until retirement, and the former 8th grade aide is still teaching there. I was a LOT older than her, so took early retirement.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 02-24-2019, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm assuming from your post that you have teaching certification and would at some point like to be a teacher.

In the district where I live, aides with teaching certification do get hired as teachers. I don't know how often, but I know that it happens.

In my case I was looking for a teaching job after being home with my own kids. I decided to do some volunteer work in a friend's classroom (different district). I was only there a few days when the principal decided to hire me as an aide. About two months later I got a lead on a teaching job and in still another district. When I received an offer, my principal released me from the aide contract and sent me into the classroom with his blessing.

I have also heard that there are districts who don't want to lose good aides and so they never hire them as teachers. I hope that's apocryphal.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

substeph

thanks
Old 02-25-2019, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I went to the interview. It was for a life skills classroom. I'm not really sure exactly what that is but they said a contained room of about 7 students. I think I was looking for more of a teaching assistant with regular and special ed kids. I don't know. I'll just keep searching.

And yes I am a certified teacher and am currently subbing per diem.
substeph is offline   Reply With Quote

Purplecrayons

Old 02-25-2019, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach the life skills classroom for my district. I am the only one at the elementary level.I am a dually certified in both special education and elementary education. I love my classroom and am blessed with two wonderful aides. One of which is a retired pre-K teacher. I teach k-5 th grade. We are a self contained room but my students go out for specials and some go out for science / social studies with an aide. My students have a range of disabilities( autism, intellectual, multiple disabilities, orthopedic and developmental).

For my district my students need to qualify by their full scale IQ being measured at 60 or below and having significant issues with adaptive skills as well. They will take the state alternative assessment when they reach third grade.I teach core academics and we work on the essential elements of the common core standards. (reading, math , language arts, science, social studies and health).

I also teach communication skills , social skills, rec and leisure skills and life skills (things like cooking and hygiene like teeth brushing). We also do community outings once a month to places like the post office or to the grocery store to purchase items for our weekly cooking lessons.

Most of classroom teaching is done in stations and my paras each run a station and help to support during our whole group time. I must say you have to have a desire to work with population . If you don’t it will be best to keep looking.

Purplecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote