Help

Substitute Teachers

30 day emergency teaching permit.

>

newcreation

30 day emergency teaching permit.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone. I joined the proteachers website just a few minutes ago. Reason being, I I'm in the process of becoming a substitute teacher out here in California. I reside in Chula Vista, a suburb of San Diego.
I graduated UNLV in 2005, with a B.A in Journalism and Media Studies. However, I never worked in that field or utilized the degree. I've worked my whole life in food and beverage industry.
I took the CBEST test in December and passed with a score of 155. Now, the reason why I joined this forum, is because I am not certain on the process that comes next. Apparently I have to obtain a 30-day emergency teaching permit from the teachers Commission. Also I believe I have to get fingerprinted at a Live Scan place. I have heard that I need a food handlers card and CPR first aid certification as well but I did not find that anywhere in regard to a requirement for the 30-day emergency teaching permit. If there are any substitute teachers residing in California who are familiar with what I am talking about, can you please reach out and help me out?. I have been out of school for 13 years. This process is becoming increasingly difficult for me and somewhat frustrating I must say.

newcreation is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

Not sure if itís the same...
Old 02-28-2019, 09:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

in your part of California, but when I first decided to sub, I took my CBEST score and fingerprint results to the district where I wanted to apply. I got the paperwork from them, and everything was submitted through that district. You might check with several districts in your area to find out what they require, and also to find out if they are presently accepting applications to sub. I did not need a CPR card, but since I was hired, there have been periodic required trainings to attend, or take online.
BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-01-2019, 05:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You will also need a current TB test. Each district also has its own special requirements, including a new set of fingerprints for each district where you apply. Many districts require you to pay for the fingerprinting.

It's probably best to first apply (online) through the state Commission and get your permit. Then once you have that, apply with the district(s) you are interested in. In many cases, you will have to go online and apply through EDJOIN... The districts' requirements will be specified there.

BTW: I've applied with several districts and have never had to do CPR training. (But then I don't work with special ed.)

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-01-2019 at 12:47 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 03-01-2019, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You definitely need a TB test and fingerprinting. I was fingerprinted by the district. We also need CPR training if we work in Special Ed. The district I work in has workshops for those interested in subbing. The process of obtaining the 30 day permit was done through the district at the workshop. Check in with the district you want to work in and go from there. I am in northern CA.
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote