Help

Substitute Teachers

Lewdness and Profanity in 1st grade?

>

luv2teach2017

Lewdness and Profanity in 1st grade?
Old 03-02-2019, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Now I've subbed in countless 1st grade classes in many different schools. I enjoy the little ones, but I admit, first graders can be wiggly, whiny, chatty, and very needy. However, I have never had problems with adult-level profanity from 6 year olds (am I just lucky?).

The other day, I subbed for a 1st grade class where there was one especially defiant little boy. He had been assigned a table right next to the teacher's desk (never a good sign), and the VP advised me to call her or the office if he became a problem. I assumed he was a typical disruptive 1st grader and that I could handle it.

He was terrible: never on task, constantly out of his seat, defiant, and constantly yelling at me and other students. Less than an hour into class time, I saw him out of his seat and heading towards the door. When I told him to come back and sit down, he swung around, faced me, and launched into the lewdest display of adult profanity, nasty insults, and "suggestive" body language (complete with hip grinding) I'd ever seen in ANY classroom!

The thing is, it was all very mechanical. It was clearly something he'd been coached to do. It was a performance, a routine he'd been taught! He obviously didn't understand what he was doing. I felt no animosity from him. Just frustration. To their credit, the other students just sat there aghast. No one said a word! I didn't say a word either. I just went to the phone and called the office to have him taken out of class.

I spoke with the VP and explained what happened. She said it was typical language and behavior for him and that the staff had never before seen a 1st grader behave that way. I didn't have a chance to speak further with her about it, but I wonder what has been done to address this with his family. I haven't been able to shake the sadness I feel for that little guy. Who on earth would teach that behavior to a 6 year old????

Has anyone else ever seen this kind of thing in a young child? What did you do? What measures were/can be taken to change the behavior?

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 03-02-2019 at 09:10 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 03-02-2019, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have seen a Kindergarten student hold a ruler below his waist and chase girls around during recess. I called him over, asked for the ruler and had him sit citing concerns over running. At the end of the day I informed the principal. Not sure what happened after that.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 03-02-2019, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Terrible. You have to wonder what this poor child has been subjected to that he would exhibit that kind of behavior. Wonder if CPS has been called on the “parents”? Hard to say when you’re there for only a day, and it does weigh heavily on your mind.

I’ve seen that behavior before in very young children, and in every case it was the result of sexual abuse. CPS had already been alerted in these cases, but there isn’t much they can or will do. Very frustrating.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 03-02-2019, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Wonder if CPS has been called on the “parents”? Hard to say when you’re there for only a day, and it does weigh heavily on your mind.
I don't know, but I suspect the school has been doing what they can. I gave the VP the info and also included it in my sub notes. I'm sure you're right...it's abuse on some level going on at home. All I could do was have him removed from class for the day. Very troubling.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Same here
Old 03-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That happened this year in a class that I was in for a week. I knew the student well from last school year. She got really horrible, so I reported her to DCFS. Within 2 weeks she was removed from her home and placed in therapeutic foster care out of district. No 6 or 7 year old should be exposed to what you are describing. It sends up all sorts of red flags.

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote