Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

What do you eat?

>

nn99

What do you eat?
Old 11-09-2007, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Any good ideas for breakfast that will hold me untill lunch??? I end up starving by 9:30 a.m., then sneaking food at my desk when the kids aren't looking. What do you do?

bandmom

me, too!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I found that protein, like a few slices of turkey or a hard boiled egg on bread (a sandwich!!) along with a glass of milk, works best. Of course, I'm nibbling on crackers as I type.

Lottalove

I tried
Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

the Quaker Breakfast Cookies--they are large and filling and hold me over well. They may have added protein but don't have that strong odor/taste of the regular protein bars. I buy the Oatmeal Chocolate chip--there are several varieties. It is also handy becasue it eats like a cookie too (one hand-no utensils).
dkd1173

dkd1173

Me
Old 11-09-2007, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Lots of times I eat some cheese cubes and a granola bar in the morning. The cheese helps me stay full (usually) until lunch.

MrChapp

Old 11-09-2007, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I hate eating breakfast-- I'm just not hungry in the morning. I used to keep a container of raw almonds behind my desk. Like PPs said, protein really helps and almonds are full of it. I could grab a handful whenever I started feeling hungry. My lunch was pretty early (10:50), so a couple handfuls in the morning usually kept me going.

I also had a small fridge in my room last year, so I kept cheese cubes and yogurt in there. I never snuck food. I ate in front of the kids and it never bothered them or anyone else. I also had a morning prep so I could grab something then if necessary.

PoohBear

breakfast
Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have to eat breakfast even when I'm not hungry (my mother instilled that in me very early) but I find that yogurt is best in keeping me full until lunch (which is at 11:30 at my school ) Cereal and toast are my other choices and they don't have the staying power of yogurt.

tammynj

Old 11-09-2007, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't like most breakfast foods, but if I don't eat before I leave the house, then I am starving by 9o. I try to keep English muffins on hand; sometimes I toast it and then put peanut butter on it. This keeps me full until lunch time. Also, I have toasted it and put ham or turkey on it; this also holds me until lunch.

If I am really hungry, I will sometimes snack in front of the kids.

mgndvd

proteins
Old 11-09-2007, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

are the only things that keep me going from 6:30 to 10 ( as PP said, egg, smoked ham, even duck-liver pate on dark bread). Then I have a mall sandwich ( smoked ham usually on whole grain bread). I have hypoglycemia so I have to eat every 3 hours usually... I told my kids at the beginning of the year that I might need to eat in class. Usually a handful of cereals. I usually give each of them a few pieces ( like 3-4) and they like it a lot. But when I have to eat more, they're ok with it. I also drink all day long...

Elyssa

Try eating Milton's bread
Old 11-09-2007, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It is VERY high-fiber - five grams per slice, filling, and delicious. Toast it and put two ounces of neufchatl cheese (low fat cream cheese) on it, then top it with a single serving container of apple sauce. This amounts to five weight watchers' points and tastes like a cheese/apple danish. It fills me up and doesn't make me feel like I'm on a diet! If you are not dieting, use real cream cheese and apple butter instead of apple sauce or add a slice of smoked salmon and some tomato instead of the sweet.

Bertie

eggs
Old 11-09-2007, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Like PP's have said, protein is the thing that will keep you feeling full. Eggs do it for me. I use the "egg beaters" chive and cheese liquid in the morning. It just takes no time to cook up into scrambled eggs. With a piece of whole grain toast, you are unlikely to be hungry before noon. Another thing that has really helped me is precooking breakfast foods. When I buy a dozen eggs I immediately hard boil 6 of them. The easiest way is to put them in water, bring to a boil, remove pot from heat (still covered) for 12 minutes then run cold water over them, and peel. Perfect hard boiled eggs. Also, I buy turkey bacon (half the fat of bacon, loads of protein) and cook it all up at one time, with fresh ground pepper. I keep it in paper towel in a ziplock in the fridge. For a fast breakfast, I can grab an egg or two and 4 slices of bacon. Its even easy to eat in the car. A smoothie with skim milk, low fat fruited yogurt, a few berries, a half banana, and some ice is a real treat, and very filling and healthy. I think I'll make one now, for lunch Yum!

AmyH

Luna Bar
Old 11-09-2007, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I eat a Luna Bar and I could go all day...
I do eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast and then a Luna bar later in the morning and I'm not even hungry at lunch...
My favorite is the lemon zest...
They are a little bit more expensive == about a dollar a bar - but well worth it I think

Carolyn

apples are very filling
Old 11-09-2007, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I rush through meals each day, except for dinner, since I don't have much time to eat at school and I eat very little. I eat an apple daily, and it really provides bulk to keep me from going hungry. I also eat a container of yogurt.

SusanTeach

smoothie
Old 11-09-2007, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Have you tried those Dannon Frusion Smoothies? They're SO yummy, and they're filling! You can eat a piece of cinnamon toast and/or a hard boiled egg with it, and you'll be good for go for a while!

liketeaching1

Cereal bars
Old 11-09-2007, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I eat a HoneyNut cereal bar and it keeps me feeling full until lunch which is noon for my class.

linda2671

Peanut butter and banana
Old 11-09-2007, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I love peanut butter and banana sandwiches for breakfast. They're very filling and healthy. They're quick and easy to make too. I usually have a glass of orange juice with it.

TerryT

Every single day I eat
Old 11-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

plain yogurt with bananas and granola (which contains sunflower seeds and almonds). I also stir in a little flax oil. It is delicious and holds me until lunch. And for some reason I never get tired of it.

Garden Gal

oatmeal
Old 11-09-2007, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I do Quaker Oatmeal. I don't like the individual serving packets so I do the 1 minute oats from the round canister. I put 1/4 cup of oatmeal and 1/2 cup of water in a bowl, usually with either raisins or dried cranberries. I then microwave it on high for 1 min. 20 sec. It comes out just right for me.

lil annie

Grape Nuts
Old 11-09-2007, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

If you aren't diabetic, grape nuts cereal is a good filling breakfast. In the cold months, you can add milk and heat it in the microwave for 30 seconds. It's even better warm.

ecteach85

Old 11-10-2007, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Breakfast is usually either of Carnation instant breakfast, either one of the liquid cartons or powder poured into a carton of milk. If not that, then sliced turkey rolled up and cheese cubes with juice.

hulababyv

snack time
Old 11-10-2007, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Instead of trying to sneak the food, why don't you have allow your students to have snack time? They might be hungry too. It will be a win win situation. Just be sure that they only bring in healthy snacks and water bottles. Good luck!