Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

we eloped

>

anngirl

we eloped
Old 11-08-2007, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am the most quiet, conservative, people pleasing person ever....

but my parents didn't like my fiance....so I finally couldn't handle it anymore. We eloped. I'm happy I'm married, but feel guilty whenever people react in shock that I would do such a thing.

Anyone else ever elope? Maybe i'll feel better once my parents find out...

ORteacher

A friend
Old 11-08-2007, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a friend do the same. She didn't even tell her friends tell several months later. After her parents calmed down and knew the husband was here to stay they had a party.

RAD

eloping
Old 11-09-2007, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My niece eloped. It was a shock because we didn't even know she had a boyfriend. However, we all accepted him graciously. They have been married 15 years and all seems to be fine. Her parents did hold a reception once it was known that they eloped.

judy

anngirl
Old 11-09-2007, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Best of luck to you! I am sure that it all will work out fine. Have your parents voiced their concerns over your new husband or do they just say they don't like him? As a parent of married and nearly married children I believe in open communication between all. I would set up a "non confrontational" dinner and ask them to be supportive .

cvt

ha ha!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I did. My mother was crushed, my aunts were all abuzz. I was the scandal of the family. They said the marriage would never last. We were happily married almost 25 years when he passed away. The funniest thing was that my grandmother was totally supportive of me. She defended my choice against everyone. I finally found out why. SHE had eloped!

missbluejay

Congrats!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

CONGRATULATIONS!! I say embrace your decision. Only you know how the two of you feel about each other and in time, I'm sure your family will learn to see that as well and welcome your new hubby. If not, you still have hubby with you! Good luck to you both in the future! And good luck telling everyone the news!

teach2all

I eloped!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Fifteen years ago, my husband and I eloped. We had gone through 3 marriages on his side of the family, my sister's and best friends w/in a couple of years. I vowed never to put myself through the emotional upheaval that they all went through. It was wonderful. We headed to the courthouse and called everyone on our way out of town to let them know what we had done. His parents were so happy not to go through another wedding that they threw us a huge party a few weeks later. My dad felt the same way.
I highly recommend it to all of my still single friends.

Lottalove

I did
Old 11-09-2007, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I went to Vegas in 1992. Fifteen years later we are still going strong. It wasn't a true "runaway" elopement though as my MIL knew and wanted to go along!! We actually let her come with! I told my mother too but she didn't believe me. Even after I got home she kept asking if I was sure it was "legal."

JenInWV

Old 11-09-2007, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Congratulations!
new1stteacher

new1stteacher

Old 11-09-2007, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Well, we did go to Vegas by ourselves but our family knew ahead of time. We just didn't invite them, and told them just a couple weeks ahead of time. It was a pretty sudden decision, but I couldn't handle doing a wedding. Congrats!

Tigger

I did!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My husband and I eloped 5 years ago! I didn't tell anyone, and neither did he! Of course, it wasn't the first marriage for either of us, but it was the most romantic, personal ceremony!

Tigger

GraceK

Old 11-09-2007, 11:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Congratulations!!!

We eloped. NO ONE knew ahead of time except my best friend and one of the friends of dh. People reacted really differently-- one cousin did not talk to me for *years* because I did not get married in a church. Some people were happy, but most were not thrilled with me. Oh well, it was my choice, and I am still happy I made it. We have been married for 12 1/2 years now and still going strong

ecteach85

We did
Old 11-10-2007, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Things were kind of crazy at that time. In-laws were both not well, my best friend was dying. We decided one Saturday morning to elope and did it that weekend. My family lived hours away. Since we planned to go ahead with a smaller family/close friends version of a wedding at a later date, but without all the hoopla, we didn't tell them yet. We did tell close friends where we lived.

However, I ended up pregnant 2 months after we married so we just let that idea go. Because we hadn't told them, my family got the wedding and pregnancy news at the same time.

Unfortunately, a coworker's sister was visiting and went back home telling my cousin I was pregnant before I told the family. They lived 3 hours further way than my parents, grandmothers and siblings did, but with her relaying the info without realizing what she was doing, I had to quickly tell my family even though we had planned to wait until the holidays (a month later) when we were all together.

I felt horrible guilty when my brother told me that my father told him I couldn't be married because I wouldn't have done with without him there to give me away. But at the time, it seemed like the best thing to do. There are days when I feel like I cheated myself and my parents out of the wedding I always dreamed of having. But I try to remember it's the marriage not the wedding that is most important.

Patty

a mom's perspective
Old 11-10-2007, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Congrats! I hope you and your husband are very happy for many years to come.

My daughter eloped -- not a big deal, she is an adult --- but what a shock when I found out from a virtual stranger. I met someone she knows well and they congratulated me on my daughter's marriage. My advice is to bite the bullet and tell your parents before some else does. I do not know the relationship you have with your parents -- as with any unsolicited advice, feel free to disregard this.

usateach

congrats!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Congratulations, I think it's awesome you eloped. I'm not sure I'd have the guts too, but it would be fun and exciting!

Strawberry_K5

Old 11-10-2007, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Congrats to you! I think you avoided the pains and stresses of planning a wedding. Enjoy being a newlywed!

anngirl

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2007, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thanks for all the encouragement!