Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Let's compare...

>

Rubyslippers

Let's compare...
Old 11-11-2007, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My son has been asking a lot of questions about coveting and other sins. He has been reading his Bible and some Bible tracks he has picked up around town. It is hard to explain some of these things to him since he doesn't yet know all the details of the sexual relatonship between a man and wife. He knows the basics of where babies come from, but not the details of exactly how they get started.

He also knows the truth about Santa, Tooth Fairy etc.He is nine.

When did your child learn all the details about sex?

The truth about Santa, etc.?

What about you? When did you know?

SC

Old 11-11-2007, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

DS is only 3 months old, so he doesn't know about these things, but I can answer for myself.

I learned about sex when I was in about 4th grade. I had questions, and my mom answered with explanations. It was an uncomfortable conversation for me, but I wanted to know.

I found out about Santa, Tooth Fairy, and Easter Bunny in first grade because a kid down the street told me. I mentioned it to my mom and told her I had told the friend that my mom would never lie to me, so Santa must be real, so my mom decided to tell me the truth. Then I asked her if God was real, since these characters were all fake.

I think it all depends on the kid, what they already know, and what you're comfortable discussing. If he's asking questions, he's probably ready to find out - in a way that's on his level, of course.

ecteach85

Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If he's asking about coveting at that age, I wouldn't even go into the sex issue on it. I would jut tell him that it has to do with wanting something that belongs to another person. For example, at his age, if he wanted a super cool toy that another child has and he really really wanted to take it from the child or something along those lines.

So far as sex, my children and I have discussed some aspects of sex. One is not comfortable yet with it, but the other is older (almost 13) and has questions so he and I talk in a bit more detail. With the 10 year old, it's more general.