How Do You Teach These Conventions to 2nd Graders? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Forget-me-not Room

How Do You Teach These Conventions to 2nd Graders?

>

ZazzyTeachR

How Do You Teach These Conventions to 2nd Graders?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Only a small handful of my students seem to have any idea about using capitals to begin sentences and adding endmarks. Although they may have good ideas and their story is well organized, some of their work is extremely difficult to decipher due to their LONG run-on sentences and missing capitals. I have been putting two or three sentences from a story I have read to them on the board each day and letting them notice what they see. They are beginning to mention (without prompting) the capitals and endmarks, but I am not seeing carry over to their writing. Any suggestions? I know there are some GREAT ideas out there. I can't wait to hear from you!

VAreader

Conventions
Old 09-09-2011, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a hard time teaching, conventions, as well. I do a lot of shared and modeled writing where I point out what I'm doing and why. Lots and lots of practice. I don't love DOL (Daily Oral Language) because it's just another thing to do if you can cover same things in writing. But if you feel like you need to teach these things explicitly, perhaps a daily writing practice would be helpful.