Forget-me-not Room

Fun Ideas for Different Types of Writing

>

johnskim

Fun Ideas for Different Types of Writing
Old 12-07-2011, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All,

This is my first year teaching 8th grade English classes. Last year, I taught first grade! This is so different for me.

I am hoping for fun innovative ideas, lessons, printables...etc. I have some students who talk about the English teacher from last year and how much fun his ideas were. I am hoping to do something fun with persuasive writing or any other type of writing.
Any ideas, advice!?

Wendy 31

Here's some ideas!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The author Barry Lane is an excellent resource. He has written some books for teachers that I utilize throughout the year. I especially like his book about persuasive writing, Why We Must Run With Scissors. ReadWriteThink.org and writing fix . com are both sites that I use.

My daughter wrote her autobiography in 8th grade. Her starting point was from an earlier project that was a creation of 50 memories. Each memory had to be one paragraph, include an illustration, and had to include one form of figurative language.

Students could create jingles for an advertisement, a brochure for a national park, or write an interview with a historical figure that is filled with factual dialogue.

Teach compare contrast with point/counterpoint poems and diamante poems that crossover into their science or history or compare characters from stories in LA. (Include sketches)

Hope this helps.

johnskim

Old 12-31-2011, 02:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks! I am use your ideas.