Help

Smartboarders

Help!

>

21stcteacher

Help!
Old 08-01-2015, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm returning to the classroom as a full time grade two teacher after 16 years at home. My new classroom has a smart board and I have no idea what to do with it...OK that's an exaggeration. I have some idea, but really don't know where to start. I'd appreciate any suggestions for getting started
Thanks in advance!

21stcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 08-02-2015, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If it is possible, talk with your district's tech dept to see if they can help you download Smart Notebook on your computer at home. I think I had to enter a number that was on the side of my Smartboard. It's been a long time. I don't remember if I had to load it from a CD or if I was able to download from the website. Having Smart Notebook on your computer will allow you to view and download already created files, as well as, create your own files at home. After that, make sure to visit the Smart Exchange to explore.

When you get into your classroom, play with your Smartboard so you are familiar with the different icons and options and have some fun. I think there are tutorials on the Smart site. You can also find some tutorial videos on you-tube.

The Smartboard allows you to display what is on your computer screen on the Smartboard so all the students can see. You can show videos. Some teachers set up their calendar routine on it. Others have students "sign in" when they arrive in the morning and order lunch. You can make interactive games to practice skills or review for tests. You can display a timer on it.

I am able to display ebooks and interactive posters from our literacy program on it. I am able to display student pages from their math book (from the Think Central website) and write on the pages with the Smartboard "pens." If you have a way to scan student work, you can scan it and save it as a pdf. Open the pdf file to display it on your Smartboard. Use the pens to edit.

If you also have a document camera with it-that is even better. You can use the actual page from a student's math book. (This is better than just displaying the page from the website. If you write on a page displayed from a website, you have to close the ink before you can go to the next page. It also takes a few seconds to load the new page. When you display the page using the document camera, you write on the hard copy with regular pens or markers and then just turn the page when you are ready.) You can model using the same handwriting paper the students use. Students can share their work by placing it under the camera and explain how they got answers. You can use manipulatives and model so all students can see. You can show science experiments. If you have a doc camera, you can scan photos or work to refer back to later or you can video the experiment to share with absent students.
I hope this helps a little.
Tip-have a back up plan for when technology decides to not work.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

bookworm472

Unit Notebooks
Old 08-02-2015, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The PP really covered it. I create a Smart notebook for each unit I teach. This way, I have it from year to year. I include pages for each lesson that have the target for the day, the agenda for the lesson, any visuals, links, and interactive activities I need. Then, I just jump to the page for the lesson I am teaching that day.
bookworm472 is offline   Reply With Quote

21stcteacher

Thank you
Old 08-10-2015, 03:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

IteachK, for your detailed response. I am headed to my classroom today and will check out the resources available. I love the many ways I can use this tool!

21stcteacher

Great idea!
Old 08-10-2015, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

TFS I love the idea of creating a notebook for each unit!

Munchkins

Notebook program
Old 08-10-2015, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You can get this online tondownload. I put it on my home computer and worked through the tutorial. That really helped.

I love the idea of the folders!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

kirbyjack

Use the tutorials
Old 08-16-2015, 12:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

They are great for learning different features of the SB. You can't mess them up, and they're available even after your first use of them. To find it again click on Help, and choose the tutorial from the drop down menu.

Also sign up for a SMARTtech account when you're ready. There are lots of free (and paid for) tutorials and videos for you to learn from. Depending on your district/state, these could even count as PD.

SMARTExchange is also a great resource for lessons that teachers have shared. Most are free, but there are some paid for lessons.

Sometimes I'll create something in Publisher or Excel and save it as a PDF or picture and pull it into Notebook software. It's easier for kids to write on top of, and they can't unlock everything on accident, or resize a table.
kirbyjack is offline   Reply With Quote

moynihan222

Smart Board Query
Old 08-18-2015, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Usually they have a training available through the county or school district office where 1 is teaching. As a substitute teacher, you don't have to go on to the smart board for a daily or even a week assignment. Its probably best to leave it alone until you are versed on how to use 1 properly. I would even consult a school head of the dept teacher, and or the other teachers in your subject area or nearest to your primary or middle school classroom.
moynihan222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveandmercy

I use Smart Board for classroom management
Old 08-23-2015, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I post Youtube videos of Just Dance. That is a game that the kids play at home. It is about two minutes of a song that animated figures dance to. I use it for classroom management "if you keep working well in five minutes we will do Just Dance!" The kids love it! It is a nice Brain Break!

I also just recently ran across Class Dojo. I willnot implememnt it this year but maybe next looks COOL and would work well in classroom with a smart board.

Also get a class timer to post on smart board. Can time transitions and kids will love racing against the clock.
Loveandmercy is offline   Reply With Quote

RebeccaH

Thank you
Old 08-28-2015, 03:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Just looked it up and it looks good.

RebeccaH is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv2tchkdz

Old 08-09-2017, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I tried Class Dojo the second half of my year and it was fabulous! The kids as you probably know, are excited to see their little avitar and points accumulated. I put the app on my phone too. It was easier that way. It was an easy movitator. For instance, I gave out points for groups that were working well at their center and sometimes took points away from others, not often They recognize the ding for good points and the dong for points going away and it gets their attention with out me interrupting my small group to say "it's getting loud at center "blah-blah-blah". I took and posted pictures of my students during the day or during a particularly fun activity. Parents that signed up loved getting updates and pics of their kiddos day. The only down side I have to figure out is how to streamline the "Dojo store." Students could buy priviledges on Dojo day. That was fun, but it usually took over half an hour to get everyone their "prize" and back to work. I did it every 2 weeks and then I'd erase points and start over. One other potential problem I just ran into...my prinicipal is concerened about parents who don't want their children in photos that are posted open to everyone in our group on the class story page. I have to contact HR and find out if their are any legal problems with this. I totally respect anyone who doesn't want they kids picture posted and would make sure I didn't post that child. I feel like if the parents sign the consent form in the beginning of the year packet and if after my little talk at open house they are interested and sign up that is permission enough. We'll see. That's my 2 cents.
Luv2tchkdz is offline   Reply With Quote