Help

Second Grade

Moving to second

>

Cleo88

Moving to second
Old 07-03-2018, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After 20 plus years departmentalized in 4th and 5th grade, Iíll be moving to second grade. Iíll no longer have the pressure of state assessments, but Iíll be in unfamiliar territory. Please help! Daily schedule? Morning work? Centers? Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Iím looking forward to this reassignment, but Iív never been self-contained, and I have a lot of questions.

Cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

2nd grade
Old 07-05-2018, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm similar to you. I've been in 3rd grade for 13 years (4th, 5th, and 8th before that) and I'm moving to 2nd this year. I've never taught below 3rd, so other than having my own children in that grade many moons ago, I'm lost.

I think I'm going to start off with simple morning centers but not ones they rotate - just some basic choices to do in the mornings since they all come trickling in for 20 minutes. Then I'll add some STEM/STEAM bins slowly as they get used to the procedure. We'll practice doing the simple ones many times before I turn them loose. The first 4 will be: reading, writing in journal, drawing, and playdoh (each will have their own small playdoh on the first day). Other than reading, the topic will be on the board for them to do with the other 3 mediums (ex: write/draw/create what you did over the weekend, something nice you will do for someone, your favorite game, etc...). While they're doing that, I can pull kids to work one-on-one or small group as needed to either go over tests, help with skills, etc...

I've been told many times, practice as much as you can. Don't assume they know how to do anything. Everything from lining up, to unpacking, etc... The first day I'll explain/model/practice each transition of our day. We'll do that every day for the first week, and another week if needed.

I have a poster that says what to do in the mornings to unpack and another for packing up, just to make it easier for them. I did that with 3rd and I'm doing the same, but I'll shorten the instructions and might even put pictures for any lower readers.

I'm curious to hear what others do and what works.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Cleo88

Thank you
Old 07-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

for your great ideas. After much research, I'm going to implement a "morning work" routine to "see" where the kids are. I'll probably start pulling kids into small groups after my read aloud. I also plan on doing some journal writing. I will do a read aloud after lunch to try to quiet them down. I'm working on anchor charts for morning and dismissal routines.
I also want to use a sight word journal that I'm purchasing from TPT.

Hpylife

Old 07-07-2018, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Welcome to second!! My morning routines for me are the same daily...so from day one I teach them exactly what to do. I found that the first week or two we focus a lot of time on getting expectations for routines in place. I also found that having everything very well organized helps a lot! Second graders are very capable of helping to keep the classroom organized.

After a few weeks, they are pro's and can do things pretty much independently. I don't do "centers" but students have morning STEM bins they can choose to do, or they can read. I roll out the STEM bins that are simple with directions printed on the containers. During our first morning meeting we discuss the bins. I also take more time during the first few weeks for lengthier "morning meetings" . I think it is important to build up the expectations , procedures and relationships for the year to be successful.

First day of the new week they are required to write all homework for the week down in their agenda notebook. I have a slide up on the smartboard each morning with a "hello" and a reminder for them --typically I also have using the bathroom as one of the reminders as I do not all bathroom breaks during instruction times.

Our daily schedule is mandatory across our grade, so I have to teach certain things during certain times. At my school our classes do not switch at all, except for specials. So I have the same group of kiddo's all day for all subjects.

I do not have centers but during math I do have stations, the students go to them after group instruction. For reading I do have a few groups broken up for differentiation according to ability levels.

I didn't do classroom jobs last year--however I did assign a teacher assistant that helped with misc tasks. However, this year I will have jobs assigned as I felt that as last year went the students naturally fell into doing 'jobs' and seemed to take great pride with that.

good luck with second!
Hpylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Cleo88

Thank you
Old 07-07-2018, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

for providing the information. Excuse me for asking, but what are STEM bins? What work is included?