Help

Second Grade

teaching mindfulness in second grade

>

mindfulness

teaching mindfulness in second grade
Old 06-12-2018, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school population enters our school each morning hyper, unfocused, and emotionally charged. This year I want to introduce mindfulness practices 2 to 3 times a day to help them become aware of their bodies and surroundings as well as learn self control in the present. Has anyone tried mindfulness practice? What works and doesn't work?

mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Go noodle
Old 06-12-2018, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The Go Noodle website has mind focus exercises. Itís free.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

mindfulness

Mindfulness lessons
Old 06-12-2018, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have used go noodle for a mindfulness break but I want to go much deeper into the subject and try to make it a mindset that is actively used throughout the day.

Has any one tried to make mindfulness a part of classroom life?
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Old 06-13-2018, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our school social worker led a 1x/week class on mindfulness for six weeks. She had some good activities and some good books. The kids really enjoyed her lessons. I found using some of the language was very helpful with a couple of my more emotional students. I would ask what the they were feeling in the moment. We would try to slow our breathing to become calmer.

I do not know the names of the books, but a couple of the activities included her ringing a small gong that then the children listened until the sound faded. This taught them to be still and listen.

She gave them a small piece of chocolate, I think, and asked told them not to chew it. She called on a few to tell what sensations, what their senses were experiencing. One of the books was about apples and afterward the children were given apple slices and told not feel, smell, taste, listen.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

mhp219

Mindfulness
Old 06-29-2018, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I always start the day with a mindfulness practice. I have found links on youtube and store them on a schoology file for easy access. I also take the time to explain the goal of mindfulness. I start with a quick youtube video that shows a swirling jar of sand slowly settling. The effect of mindfulness on the brain. It takes a while for all the kids to be comfortable but I usually had 100% participation by half way through the year. I do not force it on anyone, but they must be quiet and respectful.

mhp219 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

A Mindset for Learning
Old 06-29-2018, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We did a book group using this, and it teaches how to teach children the stances of empathy, resilience, flexibility, persistence, and optimism.

It makes them mindful of these traits, and uses literature to present them. It helps in all areas.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Smurfyteach

Forget the start of the day for it...
Old 07-11-2018, 01:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would use the start for fitness. Think a quick lap/run around the oval playground/track or fitness/jumps/skipping//sit-ups. That only takes 15 mins.
We finish the day with 'grateful' time and mindfulness/mediation. I use a candle and a poem and breathing exercises. I sit my class in a circle. Sometimes we sit and close our eyes in silence, sometimes we listen to rainforest music.
It's important!
Parents can get on board at home, so SHARE with them what you use for mindfulness and encourage participation at home.
Hope that helps.
Be Smurfy
Smurfyteach is offline   Reply With Quote