First Grade

What do you do?

>

firstieagain

What do you do?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good Afternoon!
As they school year gets closer and the summer expires I have been thinking about 1st grade and what I will be doing. Can any of you share the following to get me thinking please?
~what do you do for morning Meeting?
~what kind of helpers do you have and how many? Do you keep them all week?
~How do you do your rules? Do the students help or do you have a set that you use?
~What does your day look like?

Thanks!

firstieagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

What do you do
Old 07-11-2018, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Morning meeting: greeting is usually a fist bump around the circle. Kids always want to share so we have Weekend News on Monday, Weekend Plans on Friday. Midweek we do another - favorite somethings. If no sharing, we do a clap game or play I Have, You Have
We end with reading message I write ahead of time. Focus on content, punctuation, finding mistakes, hf words, etc.
Then we move back to our seats for daily report on calendar and weather.

Jobs: change weekly, number depends on class size. Kids without a job are Taking A Break. I use them if someone is absent. Always have line leader, caboose, 2 door holders, 2 paper helpers, 2 messengers, 1 or 2 Reporters. Reporters lead calendar time.

I use a number system for plan book, etc and make grid for jobs with numbers. Have colored library book pockets on my board, laminated
Numbered strips that fit in these pockets. Easy to switch each week. Kids learn to check for new jobs on Monday.

Kids help with rules but I guide the discussion so that rules I consider important are included. Just a few of course.

After morning message and calendar we start with phonics/spelling, ELA, math, special, lunch/recess, math or ELA, special, ELA or soc. St
Kids have 2 specials a day. Teachers have one period for team meetings (PLC)- sometimes that means 2 preps. But ... thatís when office schedules child study team meetings.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

firstieagain

Marcimcg
Old 07-11-2018, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

excellent! I love the MM bump when they greet! Thank you for responding!

SaraFirst

First Grade
Old 07-11-2018, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do one helper a day, rather than jobs. We go in "number order" so everyone knows when their turn will be. The helper is the line leader, helps with passing out papers and make delivers to the office if needed.

I do Whole Brain Teaching rules. We do talk about what each rule means and the kids brainstorm ways to behave in the classroom, cafeteria, playground, etc.

Our morning consists of whole group reading, reading groups, spelling/phonics and writing. In the afternoon we do math, science/social studies and have our specials/teacher planning time.
SaraFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

firstieagain

SaraFirst
Old 07-11-2018, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

thank you! Good Stuff!