Help

Second Grade

Ways to practice math facts

>

3monkeys

Ways to practice math facts
Old 07-15-2018, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are some tried and true ways that have helped your students learn their addition and math facts? Thanks

3monkeys is online now   Reply With Quote

Quack!

xtra math
Old 07-15-2018, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

xtramath.org

I realize it's on the computer, but this provides an excellent quick way to practice the facts daily by "racing" the teacher. You also get reports that detail how each student has been doing.
Quack! is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 07-16-2018, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use Xtra Math in combination with Spaceship Math and lots of active review games. In Spaceship Math (a part of the Dad's Worksheets site) 4 combinations will be featured on a 40 problem paper. So we might need to focus on 2+9, 9+2, 4+7, 7+4 in the course of a week. We use manipulatives to have a tactile reminder of these math facts, and then just review those cards at random moments during the day and as part of the calendar or morning routine.

The 40 problem speed drill paper is designed to be completed in 2 minutes. I send it home as homework, and do a class drill early in the week that is not timed, and then one towards the end of the week that is.

All this is in tandem with teaching the Big Idea of 9 or 11 or whatever. In second grade I still use "Beans in the Hand" for smaller numbers or the "Bean Bowl Game" for larger number. We also review number bonds and triangle flash cards. I teach math facts in conjunction with Number Sense and lots of games using dominoes, unifix cubes, playing cards, etc.

Some kids just need more exposures than others. Math facts are a tiny slice of the math grade at our school - just 10% - so a student who is poor in math facts can still earn a decent grade, but at the same time the parents know if their child needs more practice.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Bingo?
Old 07-16-2018, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used to practice multiplication facts with a bingo game - roll two dice, multiply the numbers, and cover the result on your board.

I bet it could easily be adapted for addition.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote