Help

Second Grade

Second grade teachers

>

Cleo88

Second grade teachers
Old 07-06-2018, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

can you please share what your daily schedule looks like? Thank you.

Cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Schedule
Old 07-07-2018, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

8:30 a.m. - 8:40 a.m. Students arrive-attendance-lunch count-etc.

8:40 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. Morning meeting

9 a.m. - 10 a.m. Specials (art, music, library, computer lab, phy ed, guidance, etc.) Each of these classes are a half hour except for art, which is one hour per week. Music and phy ed meet twice per week. Computer is a half hour with the computer tech and a half hour with the classroom teacher.)

10 a.m. - 11 a.m. Math

11 a.m. - 12 a.m. Writer's Workshop

12 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. lunch and recess

12:45 p.m. - 1:15 p.m. P.I.E. time (Students move to different locations for practice, intervention, and extension...that is what P.I.E. stands for.)

1:15 p.m. - 2:35 p.m. Reader's Workshop

2:35 p.m. - 2:50 p.m. Recess

2:50 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. Science, Social Studies, Health (on a rotating basis during each trimester...about five weeks each of Science and Social Studies, and two weeks of Health)

3:30 p.m. - 3:40 p.m. Straighten the room/do classroom jobs and get ready to go home.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Schedule
Old 07-07-2018, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is my first year in 2nd, but this schedule is based on what my new team does combined with what I did in 3rd last year:

7:00-7:25 - Morning centers and interventions (as they trickle in from buses)
7:25-7:40 - Pledge, announcements, clean up morning centers
7:40 - 8:20 - Activity
8:20-8:45 - Orton-Gillingham
8:45 - 10:40 - ELA (bathroom break at 9:30)
10:40-11:10 - Lunch
11:10 - bathroom break
11:20 - 12:25 - Math
12:25 - 1:05 - Performance-based groups
1:05 - 1:45 - Science/SS
1:45 - 1:55 - pack-up
1:55 - 2:10 - Recess
2:10 - 2:20 - Read aloud
2:20 - Dismissal

That's a LONG morning with no breaks, so I'll probably break that up with lots of group work, small group work, brain breaks, etc... I'll have to play around with it.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Cleo88

Schedule
Old 07-07-2018, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much for sharing your schedules. There is so much more planning to consider compared to being departmentalized. How do you fit in everything everyday? There is so much more to plan compared to teaching 4th to 5th.
Cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

To Answer Your Question...
Old 07-08-2018, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, there is a lot of planning. The first year, you'll have to take it one or two days at a time, or plan an upcoming unit/teach it/plan the next upcoming unit in the same or different subject. You may also just decide to plan for the coming week.

It also helps if you try to teach science, social studies, and health over several weeks, rather than all in one week. That way you only need to plan for one of them rather than two or three of them. As I told you in my other post, I teach science for four weeks, social studies for four weeks, and health for two weeks over the course of a trimester.

If you stick to the schedule, you won't have any trouble fitting it all in. There may be days when you overplan, and then you will just review a little the next day and begin where you left off.

There may be other days where you underplan, but that was never my problem.

You will quickly learn how quickly or slowly your student complete tasks, and that will help your planning.

If you have other teachers at your grade level, they may be willing to plan a unit and share it so you won't have to do much planning to teach it. It may not be the way you would teach the unit, but you can make notes for next year on how you might change it.

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 07-11-2018, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
If you have other teachers at your grade level, they may be willing to plan a unit and share it so you won't have to do much planning to teach it. It may not be the way you would teach the unit, but you can make notes for next year on how you might change it
That's huge! Definitely talk to your grade level if you're not the only 2nd grade teacher. Our team divides up the subjects and everyone plans a different one. Then we hand each other the plans. We can pick/choose how much of that plan to use to suit our own class. Then we make copies accordingly. It makes it easier on everyone! The downside is if you have teachers who procrastinate and don't have the lessons ready for you. We had a "rule" of having them ready by the Thurs. of the week before so we had time to tweak them and make copies before Monday.

If you don't have that option, set up a daily goal for planning out each subject. Ex: Monday work on ELA for the next week, Tues., work on math, Wed., work on science/ss, Thurs. make copies, Fri. grade papers. That way you're done for the week and can enjoy your weekend. That made a huge difference for me. If you're going to do that, make sure you get a pacing guide or create one, so you know when to teach everything to make sure you get everything in.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

hopealope

Teams
Old 07-20-2018, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My schedule changes based off of the schools master but definitely plan with your team. My team plans together and maps units out.
hopealope is offline   Reply With Quote