Help

First Grade

Google classroom

>

pinklipstick

Google classroom
Old 05-18-2018, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you use Google classroom in your classroom? Is first grade too young? I will be getting 20 chrome books to use in my classroom next year. I want to use them as much as possible. Any ideas would be appreciated!

pinklipstick is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Google classroom
Old 05-18-2018, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow, you are lucky!

We have them starting in second grade. Teachers do use google classroom and love it. Mostly used for writers workshop, reading responses and independent math practice. Kids can select correct spelling of words without having to use word wall or edit phonetic spelling.

We start PARCC in Third so those teachers appreciate kids comfort with keyboard. Please let the group know how firsties make out with it.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 07-21-2018, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First grade is not too young. I use Google Classroom with my kindergarten students. I like that I can create assignments and push them out to my entire class or can differentiate activities for my students. We have tech standards that we have to teach K-12 so it is a great way for me to teach tech skills while integrating it with other subjects.

My students use iPads. The Google Apps don't have the same functionality on the iPad as on the chrome books. i.e. They can't do Google Image Searches and there is no Google Draw on iPads. (I worked around that by having them draw in the Doodle Buddy app and then they inserted their drawings into their slides.)

I don't start Google Classroom until October. I introduce the iPad and several apps to get my students comfortable with using the iPad first. My students share iPads. My K students are not independent at the beginning of the year. I assign iPad buddies-Partner A and Partner B. The Partner A students are the stronger students.Most have a little experience with some type of technology-iPad, tablet, phone...

When we first start with the iPads, I teach and model to a small group of Partner A students. Then they would practice while I met with the second group of Partner A students. The next day Partner As would practice again with me. The third day I would have the whole group come to the carpet. Partner As sat with their Partner Bs. Partner A students were the "experts" while I taught and modeled for the Partner B students. Partner As were able to help their buddies and give them immediate feedback.

I created my Google Classroom and got the code. Then I signed in as the students on the iPads and used the code to join the Google Classroom. (2 students on each iPad) I did this ahead of time to save time and to make it easier for my students. When my students opened Google Classroom on their assigned iPad, they just had to click on their initial. They did not have to type in a username and password. (Our passwords are long-have upper and lowercase letters and numbers which can be tricky at the beginning of kindergarten.)

It is a little different on the chrome book so you might want to create log in cards for your students. You create your Google Classroom and get the code. I think the first time the students will need to log in with their g-mail address and their password. They will pick a picture icon. After that, when they log on, they click on their picture icon and type in their password. It is best if your students always use the same chrome book.

At the beginning of the year, my students learn how to drag objects and text boxes so I create assignments where they can practice those skills. i.e. For math, I might assign Google Slides where they have to drag number words to match numerals and drag objects to make the corresponding sets. As the year progresses, they learn how to insert text boxes, images (photos from the camera roll on iPad) and shapes. They can change the size and color of the font in text boxes and change the color and size of shapes. By the end of the year I assign blank Google Slides for my students to do informative reports.

You can embed a you-tube video in a Google Slide for students to watch. (They have to be in Present mode on the iPad to watch the videos. I'm not sure about the chrome book.) i.e. I assigned sight word song videos for my students to watch. I assigned different science videos for my students to watch.

I used Google Slides to create science notebook pages for my students. At the beginning of the school year, my students aren't ready to type in sentence responses. (Most are just learning how to write their first names at the beginning of K.) So I have responses typed in text boxes along the side of the slide and the students pick their response and drag it to the slide. By the end of the school year, my students used Google Slides to take photos and record their observations when we raised caterpillars and when we planted sunflower seeds.

Other ideas:
-Create a Google Slide with a set of objects. Have students drag objects or insert shapes to make a set that has more/less/same.
-Create sorting activities using Google Slides.The mat is the background so it is locked. You can add text boxes with words or pictures along the side. Students drag the text boxes or pictures to the mat to sort them.
i.e. Sort 2D and 3D Shapes, Sort Living and Nonliving or you can even have them do Letter Sorts and Word Sorts.
-Create labeling activities in Google Slides. Use the picture as the background so it is locked and won't move. You can have text boxes with the words along the side for students to drag the labels to the slide or have them insert text boxes and type in the words for the labels. i.e. Label the Life Cycle of a Frog, Label the Parts of the Plants
-Use Google Forms to create quizzes. You can use pictures for non-readers. My students completed Google Forms to vote and predict. i.e Favorite Apple, President (Grace or Duck), and Groundhog Day Prediction. You could even create a form for students to do book reviews.
-Create sequencing activities in Google Slides. Have students drag pictures to put in story order or to sequence events.
-Create Fix It Writing activities. Type a sentence with mistakes in a Google Doc or Google Slide. Have students insert a text box and type the sentence correctly.
-Do word-building activities. Have pictures. Put letters along the side. Have students drag the letters to build the words.
-You can have students do pixel art using Google Sheets.

The first year I was learning right along with my students. I created activities for Google Classroom on my laptop at home. I had some flops. (That was how I discovered that the Google Apps didn't function the same on the iPad as they did on my desktop or laptop.)When things didn't work, my students and I problem solved together. The second year was much easier. You can reuse assignments which saves you time.

If you are having all students collaborate on one slideshow, you might want to assign one slide to each student. Otherwise, students might get confused and type over other students' work. My students has assigned numbers so I just put numbers on the slides. For collaborative activities,I would assign the one set of slides to my entire class. When students clicked on the assignment and opened the Google Slides, they had to scroll through to find the slide with their number.

I love technology. I like that it saves paper and that I don't have a pile of papers to lug home. While I love technology, I think it is important to have balance. Our little ones need to spend time doing hands on activities and using manipulatives. They need to learn how to write their letters, numbers, names... They need to cut and glue.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote