Second Grade

Pencils

>

learn

Pencils
Old 08-01-2018, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello again,

Any specific rules that have worked in the past in regards to pencils and making them last?

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 08-01-2018, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

On Teachers Pay Teachers there is a free resource by Wise Owl called "Winning the Pencil War."
I have used that with success.
owl98 is online now   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 08-06-2018, 10:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a dull pencil box and a sharp pencil box, I have the kids trade a dull pencil for a sharp pencil. I start the year sharpening pencils then add it to the job list. They can sharpen pencils during clean up. I have back up pencils from years that I put out to replenish when there are no sharp pencils available anywhere in the room and I go for indifference about the kid's lack of pencils most of the time and encourage them to borrow from a neighbor. It usually works well. I also replenish the whole classes pencils every so often.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 08-07-2018, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have never had much of a problem regarding pencils. I have two cans out where students can take a sharp pencil and leave a dull one. I am the only person allowed to sharpen them. If I notice pencils are being taken and very few are being returned, I take the cans away and students MUST gave me a dull pencil in order to receive a sharp one.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

raelyn

Pencils
Old 08-13-2018, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I tried the dull/sharp bins in the past but I found that that made my students lazy. The never sharpened their pencils. They just waited for my to sharpen the dull ones, then went over and exchanged their pencils for sharp ones. The idea was for them to sharpen their own pencils and use the ones I sharpened as needed. Last year I took a more problem solving approach. When a child told me they needed a pencil I asked "How are you going to solve that problem?" Of course we had lessons about how to solve this problem beforehand and throughout the year: You could a) look in the lost pencil box-pencils left on the floor. b) borrow from a classmate or c) get one from your extra supplies bag. This caused them to be more responsible with their pencils.

raelyn is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 08-23-2018, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
When a child told me they needed a pencil I asked "How are you going to solve that problem?"
I agree with this. It's their responsibility, not mine. I have many other things to do, and I don't provide pencils. Those are school supplies the parents are responsible for.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote