switching to BRIDGES Mathematics- any advice? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

First Grade

switching to BRIDGES Mathematics- any advice?

>

PUKO

switching to BRIDGES Mathematics- any advice?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, my entire elementary team is switching to Bridges in Mathematics from ABEKA. I can see that it is very center based. I am having trouble locating the technology aspect. Assessments seems few and far in between. Any advice, pointers, pros, cons, are welcome....TIA!

PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Not sure, but
Old 06-17-2018, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the Bridges program from The Math Learning Center might have some resources that would help.
You might check it out. Or they may prove confusing. Not sure.

With ABEKA also aimed at homeschooling, they may soft pedal tech.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

PUKO

T.y.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks so much!

am1115

Bridges
Old 06-17-2018, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There is a lot of teacher prep- especially the first year. My district also uses the Number Corner component. There is a unit assessment for each unit, plus some units have check point assessments in the middle. Number Corner also has assessments. There are very few “paper pencil” type tasks. We started doing some of the Home Connections homework sheets as in class work to be graded. Some of the Home Connections have skills that were not yet taught, or taught in a very limited way, and this is frustrating since homework shouldn’t be new skills, but practice of known skills. There are some lessons that are very heavy on teacher prep for very little math gain (Ex: First grade has a quilt project in one of the units... we skip that and teach the concepts in our own way) My district is greatly lacking in technology, but I do have an Epson projector and took advantage of the online resources provided for each lesson (also number corner). You can intro the games online with the online game boards, spinners, dice, etc. There are also nice online apps, like a number rack, number line, pattern blocks, etc. The first year it was helpful to read through some blog posts that are on the Math Learning Center Educator Site.
am1115 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvfirsties

Organizing for Bridges Math
Old 07-06-2018, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I highly recommend you get two boxes of the 2 (or 2.5) gallon zip lock bags and that as you go through each unit and each month of number corner, you put all the materials away in a bag. I have one bag dedicated to each month and one bag dedicated to each unit.

Also, label the back of all the spinners, game boards, cards, etc, with the Number Corner Month or the Unit Number. Some spinners are used in more than one month, so write all the months on them as you go, but in the end, store them in the first month (or unit) bag that you'll need them next year.

For items needed in multiple months/units, I write out an index card that says something like, "You'll find the ____ game board in the Unit 3 bag." That way I'm not scrambling to find a random card/board/spinner, when the next month/unit begins.

At the end of a unit or month, I literally put every single thing I used inside a bag. This was SOOOOO helpful in year two. Heading into my third year next year and it is SUCH a relief to know I just need to pull out my bag.

luvfirsties is offline   Reply With Quote

PUKO

Old 07-07-2018, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you so much for this tip. I will do this and share it with my colleagues.

luvfirsties

Old 07-07-2018, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

So glad you find it helpful!!!
luvfirsties is offline   Reply With Quote

krazykaye

Started this year
Old 09-20-2018, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This our first year and it’s a nightmare so far. There is a lot of discussion each lesson. Yes, there is tons of teacher prep. We are on the 14th day of school and we have done very few if any pencil paper tasks. We are using our home connections in class as well.

The jury is still out on what I think about this series. It is not organized well and very scripted. I was excited about this series but it’s too early to tell if I like it.
krazykaye is offline   Reply With Quote