Help

Future Teachers

Becoming a teacher

>

pulabula

Becoming a teacher
Old 09-07-2018, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I really do want to become a teacher. Right now, I am subbing for all the schools in my parish. (I live in Louisiana.) I do not know what I need to do and I am trying to looking up all the information without calling and asking schools. I do not want the million phone calls or emails from them. And I already had a school screw me over with 55k dollars in student loans. So I am asking you.

I have my associates degree in graphic design.

I want to teach either middle school or high school.

Is my degree completely worthless and I need to stat over to get a degree in education? Or can I use this and go for my BA? Then get certified. I am so lost on how I can do this. And help would be amazing! Thank you so much!!

pulabula is offline   Reply With Quote

RoseKimber

Old 09-07-2018, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm from a different state, but this may help: https://www.teachercertificationdegr...a-alternative/

What I did was call the 2 colleges closest to me, explained I had a BA degree and was interested in maybe returning to college to be an elementary school teacher. They had me make an appointment with an advisor. I can't remember if I took my college transcripts in or had them sent there first. At the appointment, they told me what I needed to complete their program.

Hope this helps somewhat. It depends on your state and what you want to be licensed to teach. My state doesn't have alternative routes to licensure for elementary teachers. You need a degree in a specific subject area (math, computer, etc.) to do an alternative route. What I had to do was start over and do a 2nd bachelor's degree. The master's degree would have been shorter, but local public elementary schools (where I subbed) told me NOT to get a master's, because it's difficult to get hired (they have to pay you more if you have a masters). But, some states you have to have a master's degree. It took me some digging and consideration between what programs and schools to find everything when I went through that process.
RoseKimber is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 09-08-2018, 04:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What subject are you interested in teaching?

You will need a BA. I am sure that if you wanted to get an art major and you carefully choose the right school, your associates credits (at least some of them) will transfer, so you can complete an art major and education training in perhaps 2 or 3 years. Does your associates program have any agreements for credit transfer with any four year colleges? That is where I would start.

To be sure you are getting into a program that will eventually result in a teaching job, be sure to check the certification requirements in your state. Your state education department probably has these available on line. The requirements vary from state to state...so if there's a place you would prefer to live, it is easiest to go to college there, because the school will be geared to the state requirements.

Colleges usually have lots of information available to you on line so you don't need to call and get on their mailing list. You can check out what they have for programs, their entrance requirements, tuition costs, etc. easily. Once you have narrowed down your options to two or three schools, then contact them about applying and enrolling.

After you finish your degree and teacher training (including student teaching) you can apply for certification. These days you may have to take some tests prior to being certified in addition to having completed your degree. Your state ed department will have all the information you need.

Best wishes to you as you pursue your dream!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

MathGuy1982

Old 09-08-2018, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Whatever you do, go the easiest route. I would recommend if you could do most of your schooling online, major in a bachelor of education and take the minimum number of subject matter hours to teach in the state as well as any state test required like praxis (or whatever your state requires). I can't recommend going to a traditional brick and mortar school and majoring in your subject matter unless you have extreme drive and a lot of free time. That's a lot of time and class scheduling that would require you to miss a lot of work. Always check your state requirements though. I'm thinking Colorado so Louisiana might be different. If I were you, I would call or look up info for your state education department. Congrats! We need teachers.
MathGuy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

pulabula

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2018, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank y’all. We are in the process of moving at the moment. So once life calms down a little I will definitely be doing what y’all said! Thank y’all!

pulabula is offline   Reply With Quote

ellenroo

Old 09-21-2018, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I know I am a little late to this but from what I've seen you can go get your BA from there, take the praxis, and apply for certification. That's what I did and I'm a high school teacher now. I would suggest finding an alternate route course or something though to help prepare you.
ellenroo is offline   Reply With Quote