Classroom Management

I知 losing my mind

>

Jamie143

Jamie143

I知 losing my mind
Old 09-20-2018, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I’m a Montessori preschool teacher, and in desperate need of advice!! Here’s the situation, where I work, there are 2 classrooms, 1 has 20 students and 3 teachers, and a smaller room, and returning children as well as new ones. That classroom is running very smoothly.

My classroom is much larger, has 2 teachers, and no returning children. My boss and co-lead teacher says we’re fine, but the classroom is crazier than I’ve seen in all 5 years I’ve been teaching.. they’re all going off of the rails, and It feels completely out of control! He’s trying to give a lesson to one child at a time while I keep all of the others with me at all times.. so while he’s with one child, I’m with 18 or 19 others, one of which is trying to cut another’s hair while another is pooping his pants and another screaming Bloody Mary.

When I try to make suggestions like “maybe we could use a third person in here until our kids get situated” he laughs and says we’re fine. When I bring up how the size of the room may be overwhelmingly large for the kids he says it doesn’t make a difference. When I say I’m overwhelmed he says it’ll be fine.

I don’t know what to do or say because at the end of each day I’ve built up so much stress and anxiety i go home crying not because I’m sad but because I’m relieved that for the first time in 8 hours I can finally breathe
I don’t know what more to do or say.. any advice would be appreciated so much
Thanks

Jamie

destination2

Stay Calm
Old 09-25-2018, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hello,

The first thing I would do is look at the classroom environment. Is it peaceful. I know you mentioned class size. Perhaps you could try partitioning the classroom and dividing it up so that it doesn’t appear to be so large. Classroom size does affect students learning. Another thing is why is the one teacher trying to give one on one lessons? Communication is key and I know it is hard for pre-school teachers to communicate with kids this age so try using visuals. When children know what to expect it’s much easier to be calm and engaged, they aren’t looking to control everything and everyone if they feel like they are in control. Remember that connection is key, you need to spend the time connecting with your students to build trust and a relationship with natural authority before you can expect to be able to get the best behavior out of the students. Try to stay calm. Even if the behavior rattles you, it’s your job to keep control, and the best way to do that is to stay calm. If a child is throwing your classroom into chaos for a minute or two ( it can seem like forever ), it will return to normal much faster if stay calm. Keep parents in the loop. I don’t suggest every time a child is defiant or acts out you call the parents but if you are seeing a pattern make sure you are communicating with the parents. When parents and teachers work together the child benefits. I hope this helps.

Last edited by destination2; 09-25-2018 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: spacing
destination2 is offline   Reply With Quote