Can you teach middle or high school with an Anthropology degree? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Future Teachers

Can you teach middle or high school with an Anthropology degree?

>

Emelia1839

Emelia1839

Can you teach middle or high school with an Anthropology degree?
Old 09-21-2018, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All!

I originally wanted to go into higher education with my Anthropology degree, but after recently getting a job as a teaching assistant in middle school, I realize that I love teaching at this level.
I'm seriously thinking about getting my teaching license (or Master's degree in education) and getting into teaching at the middle school or high school level. The only problem is that I live in NY which seems to have really strict requirements for which subject I can teach with my degree.

Have any of you ever heard of someone getting into teaching social studies with an Anthropology degree? Or would I have to go back for a History major? I'm kind of lost as to how to go about this.

Singfree

Old 10-10-2018, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi Emelia,

In my experience, colleges here and probably most places, have specific courses that fulfill the Social Studies requirements. MAYBE one or two of your anthropology classes would qualify to fulfill a class or two for the Social Studies concentration. I have a degree in psychology and took classes in child development, learning, and education psychology, but they wouldn't count them; it had to be courses from the education department. I basically retook the same content over again for a number of classes.

The best way to get an idea is to make appointments with advisors at local colleges. They will look at your transcripts and give you an idea of what you'd need to take for different teaching areas you're interested in. No college here has charged me to see an advisor, so you should be able to do that without needing money or being obligated to sign up there.

Hope this helps...
Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote