Help

First Grade

Center time

>

teach223

Center time
Old 09-24-2018, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a question for you first grade teachers. I just moved down to first grade this year from teaching 3rd and 4th grade. Does everyone do centers for both ELA and Math? It just seems like I do not have time in the day to do both. Just wondering how you all do this. Do you make just one time during the day for centers or do you do two separate center times? Is there anyone out there who does not do centers at all? just trying to figure out the best way to do this.

teach223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 10-22-2018, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I taught first grade I did centers for ELA. Students rotated through the following centers:
- small group (guided reading)
- game (a game based on the phonics skill we were covering at the time)
- small book (students would grab their book baggie filled with their leveled books and read them)
- practice page (this came from the curriculum we used)
- spelling (practicing their weekly spelling word list)

For math I would teach the lesson to the whole class. Anyone who needed extra help would meet me on the floor and we would go through the problems together. Those that understood the concept would work at their desk.
Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 10-22-2018, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My setup was very much like GiGi. My ELA centers were the same plus computer center and class library. Every year I tried to do math centers, but it never worked out. There was just too much whole group stuff to be done in our curriculum, leaving little time for centers. We do the whole group lesson and workbook pages together. Then the kids do 2 practice pages independently and
choose a quick math card game or puzzle if they finish. I also do the pages with the needy group on the rug at this time.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

upperwests

No centers for me
Old 10-23-2018, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Now that I am teaching all my lessons in a "Workshop" model.....except content, I no longer do any centers. I think my students are benefiting from spending 40 minutes in Reading Workshop and Writing Workshop so MUCH MORE than in centers!!!
upperwests is offline   Reply With Quote