Sixth Grade

Looking for 6th grade novel

>

lynnw

lynnw

Looking for 6th grade novel
Old 07-27-2018, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm offering "Student Choice" novels this year. I have them in categories and then they get to choose a novel from the category. I am struggling to find some books for the category "Guilty or Innocent". I want to find books where a character does something wrong for good reasons so we can talk about if it is ever okay to break the law or break a rule for a good reason. I have The Witch of Blackbird Pond and Tuck Everlasting so far.

Overlightnes

Old 07-27-2018, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Front Desk by Kelly Yang is a great new novel.

Here's the summary:

"Mia Tang has a lot of secrets: Number 1: She lives in a motel, not a big house. Every day, while her immigrant parents clean the rooms, ten-year-old Mia manages the front desk of the Calivista Motel and tends to its guests. Number 2: Her parents hide immigrants. And if the mean motel owner, Mr. Yao, finds out they've been letting them stay in the empty rooms for free, the Tangs will be doomed. Number 3: She wants to be a writer. But how can she when her mom thinks she should stick to math because English is not her first language?"
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote
lynnw

lynnw

Old 07-28-2018, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much!!

whd507

fourmile
Old 10-10-2018, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

the main character is a boy who's dad died, and a soldier who is AWOL comes by and does good things for the family, hes a good guy did something bad. (they don't know he;s AWOL)

mom has a bad boyfriend, there is some inferred violence, but for a good reason, and it ends in an partly unsatisfying way, but its a good book

Twelve-year-old Foster knows in his gut that Dax Ganey, the man dating his widowed mother, is a bad seed. Then a mysterious stranger arrives at their Alabama farm, a former Army Ranger in Iraq rambling across the country, and Foster believes he has found an ally against Dax. The stranger proves a fascinating mentor, full of wisdom and secrets. And Dax soon has reason to resent not just him and Foster but also Foster's mother. A spurned Dax will be a dangerous enemy, but Foster is increasingly aware that the stranger is just as dangerous, if not more so.

From Watt Key, the author of one of the most highly acclaimed children's survival adventures of the last decade, comes Fourmile, a tautly wound new novel reminiscent of classic westerns, about a boy caught in the middle of a clash that may turn out to be his own battle to fight.

This title has Common Core connections.

Watt Key
ISDN978-1-250-03995-8
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bboone

Freak the Mighty
Old 10-27-2018, 05:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Freak the Mighty is a great book for 6th grade. The narratorís father is in prison and we donít know why initially. I think it would go with your theme well.

Bboone is offline   Reply With Quote