Help

Kindergarten

Order and timeframe for teaching alphabet and sounds

>

lbarrett

Order and timeframe for teaching alphabet and sounds
Old 11-15-2018, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just curious as to the order and amount of time you devote to teaching the letters of the alphabet. Our seasoned Kindergarten teacher has a specific letter order (b, m, s, t, a, c, l, p, etc) that she teachers and does a letter of the week. Other colleagues do two letters a week from a-z. Just wondering what most teachers do that is successful. TIA

lbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 11-15-2018, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We do a quick alphabet review at the beginning of the year - two letters a day and we go over the sounds as well. After that we do a letter a week. However, the letter a week is more of a springboard for other activities - it's not that they are just now learning the letters. We focus on handwriting with that letter, sound sorts, sounding out words that have the letters we've focused on, have an abc journal that focuses on words/sentences with that letter, stuff like that.

By this point in the year I expect most kids to know all letters and most sounds. I'd say generally by the first trimester 75% of my kids know all the letters, 50% know all sounds, and half of the rest know more than half of the sounds. My low babies still might only have half or less of letters and only a handful of sounds.

I don't think there's one way or a best way to teach them.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Teaching sounds
Old 11-17-2018, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use the carnine order. It is similar to the order you listed above. In the first four weeks of school, I focus solely on phonemic awareness. We don't learn graphemes but we learn 3 sounds and chants to go with them each day. We practice stretching words out 'like bubblegum'. A speechie put me on to that.

Then in week 5 we start introducing letters, two per week. The program we use teaches the sounds but not the names. I taught the names later in the year.

My kids did really well this year. (We're almost at the end here in Aus). By mid year, most knew all their single letter sounds and now most have learnt 15-20 digraphs. They are great spellers and writers, and incredible readers. I think it really payed to prioritise phonemic awareness in the first couple of months! I do regret not teaching letter names earlier in the year though. It is my first year so that is something I'll change next time.

I agree with sbkangas that there is more than one way to teach letters and be successful. I also think the best pacing could be dependent on the specific group of kids and the extent to which they've been exposed to letters and sounds previously.

Last edited by ElizabethJoy; 11-17-2018 at 02:08 PM..
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 11-18-2018, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I first started teaching, we did a letter a week and it took the whole year to get through it. Common Core upped the ante and, with the amount of writing they are expected to leave K doing, we condensed it to 2 letters a week. I will teach my last two letters the last week of November.

I use Wilson's FUNdation's order because of the handwriting sequence. I've used Animated Alphabet's order (which builds on sounds) and Treasures order (not sure what that is based on at all!), but I'm back to FUNdations because it is a logical, research-based sequence for handwriting.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote