Help

First Grade

Kindness

>

Socks

Kindness
Old 12-29-2018, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a tough class this year. In general, they are academically low, they have a very hard time paying attention, and they are down right mean to each other. We will only have Thursday and Friday of next week with kids. I was hoping to use those two days to really try to hit them hard with kindness. Has anyone done anything with their kiddos that has really gained results? We've read the How Full is Your Bucket book and watched a few animated shorts. We've had SO MANY DISCUSSIONS on the topic to no avail. I need to see progress. I made tallies one day of the number of mean incidents that were reported to me and there were 8 in the first 40 minutes of the day (morning work time). I had 28 reports by the end of the day. Any thoughts or ideas?! Thanks!

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

Old 12-31-2018, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No advice, just letting you know that you are not alone. I could have written this post because your class sounds exactly like mine. I've been pushing kindness since September to no avail. Hoping others have some suggestions.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4first

Old 12-31-2018, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would discuss what kindness is and give examples. Then I would start a tally of things that I saw were kind. then you could do a small reward once they had a predetermined amount of kindness tallies.
crazy4first is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

kindness
Old 01-01-2019, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Look into random acts of kindness. Pick something to do each day for the students to do...give them the feeling of what happens when you are kind.
-write letters to the teacher from last year.
- make a card or banner to take to the fire station/police station.
- pass out a treat to another classroom (do it as a mystery and let them hear the other class talk about it at recess)
-watch for kindness acts in the classroom and make a big deal of it...positive praise

K-Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-01-2019, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

How about role playing some situations and showing how they can be kind. You could also look at emotions and showing what they look and feel like. Start or continue really rewarding the good things. M&ms maybe every time? Even if they just do it for the reward, some of it might stick if you reward long enough.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

cmjd2010

Gratitudes
Old 01-06-2019, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have been doing a variation of what Kahluablast mentioned for the last 12 years or so. I write all of the students names on popsicle sticks and draw 6 names at the end of the day. Those students share something they are grateful for, or something nice that another student did for them, such as loaning a pencil, etc. I have taught them not to mention the other student by name because at first, it was just students thanking their friends. Each of the 6 gets a small candy, like a Skittle. We then draw one stick of the 6, and that student receives a Paws Praise, which is our schools way of recognizing Good Character.

Research has proven that showing kind acts to students can change behavior, so with a particularly unkind class I showed short You Tube Clips 3-4 times a week. I have also used historical figures to talk about kindness and good character, which seemed to keep their interest. Hope this helps!
cmjd2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
SgnOUT

SgnOUT

A Leader in Me
Old 01-19-2019, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a very immature group this year and I understand your plight. I have seen some success with changing my classroom behavior from Dojos to something more tangible to students of this age, I now have a card system. I DO NOT allow them to earn cards back, as I tried that prior and it only made them spend the day begging for their card back rather than learning from their actions.

I have seen less of a problem with negative behavior since switching to the card system and being tough about not giving a card back unless I made an error. If they ask, I take an additional card. I know that seems tough, but this group just really has a hard time accepting consequences for their behavior because they can always beg and cry to get it fixed, at home and previously.

I also have used the books, "Have You Filled a Bucket Today?" and "How Full is Your Bucket?" These are great tools, but you really have to change your personal responses and make sure you are highlighting positive behaviors, but equally among the class. If you don't find a way to praise the problem children, this system does not work well. Also, make sure you consistently use the language of praise during the day.

I didn't have as much luck with this system this year, because of the make up of my students. I have several very negative students and that attitude is quick to take over a classroom. I am currently using the "A Leader In Me" book for myself to gain insight and the children's companion book series "7 Habits of Happy Kids". So far I am only on book two for the kids, but I am seeing a shift in my students and their attention, as well as their response to situations. I have been spending a week talking about and discussing each book. So we are moving slowly to make sure the habits are ingrained.

Take all of this as suggestion only, as your class will be completely different than mine or any other. Best wishes.

imcrazedw4

One idea
Old 01-19-2019, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had the most difficult class I've ever had last year. I had 28 kids, was very boy heavy (with one very challenging girl) and too many of those kids had serious issues going on in their lives. One idea you might try that was somewhat helpful to me last year was to schedule spontaneous "free play" times for anyone in the class who was on "Think About It" or higher on my clip chart. The kids who had clipped down to a lower color sat on the bench and watched the kids play. I would try to get out for about 10-15 minutes every day and it did seem to help. Good luck!
imcrazedw4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Drill sargeant
Old 01-20-2019, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That’s what I’ve become. I ring a bell and they must freeze put their fingers in their lips and raise two fingers in the air. I then give directions.

We modeled and practiced what transitions look like and sound like. I remind them before every transistion. I am very strict and keep anyone who needs practice in from the beginning of their special.

This is my toughest class . And this is working.

Regarding kindness- I taught them about the zones of regulation. This helps them identify their feelings and behaviors. Maybe that would help them know when they are choosing to be kind..,

Last edited by Munchkins; 01-20-2019 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Need to answer the question!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Schroe

Old 01-27-2019, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Sigh. I get it. This year, I moved toward a WOW board. Here’s how it works...
First, I focus upon character traits. The behavior pillars we have identified at our school are responsibility, respect, perseverance and community so I picked one pillar a week and read books connected to that pillar that also connected to a character trait. We created classroom I Can statements connected to each pillar and each time I catch them practicing one of the 4 pillars, they can put their name on the WOW board. When it is filled up, we will celebrate with something special. It has made a big difference so far!
Here is a picture from when we first started using it.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Schroe is offline   Reply With Quote