Help

Kindergarten

Rhyming Words Google Slides

>

iteachk2010

Rhyming Words Google Slides
Old 02-02-2019, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In an earlier post, there was a discussion on rhyming words. People shared some great suggestions. I made a basic rhyming words activity using Google Slides. I thought I'd share it if anyone is interested.

Rhyme or Do Not Rhyme Google Slides

Slide 1 explains the activity.

Slides 2 and 3 are posters. (Anchor charts for rhyme/don't rhyme. Review onset-rime. Very basic, used c-v-c words as model.)

Slide 4 is a template if you want to make your own slides.

Slides 5-14 have a smaller version of the anchor charts at the top as a visual for added support, along with two pictures. (If additional support is needed, I included text boxes with the names of the pictures off the left side of each slide that you can drag underneath the corresponding pictures. If you use the slides in Present mode, you will need to move the text boxes to the slides before clicking Present; otherwise, the words will not be displayed.) There is a thumbs up or down covered up with a yellow square that you can move so students can check if they had the correct answer.

I will do it whole group and display the Google Slides on the Smartboard. Students will signal thumbs up/down to tell whether the two picture names rhyme. If you use it in Present mode, the yellow square will disappear to reveal the thumbs up (rhyme) or thumbs down (don't rhyme) when you click so students can check if they had the correct answer. If you don't use the Google Slides in Present mode, you will need to click on the yellow square to drag it off to reveal the thumbs up or down.

Another thing I do to help with rhyming is do an activity with Elkonian boxes and c-v-c words. I hope that I can explain it. Students get 2 sets of Elkonian boxes. I say a word. They put yellow counters in the first set to represent each sound in the word. (We isolate the beginning consonant sound, medial vowel sound, final consonant sound.) Then I say a second word. For the second set of Elkonian boxes, we isolate the sounds but we compare them to the sounds in the first word. Students put a yellow counter if the sound is the same as in the first word and use a red counter if the sound is different from the first word.

i.e. For cat and cup, the first Elkonian boxes would have yellow, yellow, yellow for cat and the second Elkonian boxes would have yellow, red, red for cup. Visually students can see that both start with yellow so the two words don't rhyme. Rhyming words do not have the same beginning sound.

i.e. For cat and bat, the first Elkonian boxes would have yellow, yellow, yellow for cat and the second Elkonian boxes would have red, yellow, yellow for bat. Visually students can see that the words start with different colors (different beginning sounds) and have the same rime (medial vowel and ending sound) so the two words rhyme.
Does that make sense?

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

Old 02-02-2019, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's really cool! Thank you so much for sharing.
suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 02-02-2019, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Very nice Thanks for your generosity in sharing your efforts.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

7more

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2019, 09:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for sharing!
7more is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-03-2019, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for sharing!

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote