Help

Kindergarten

Question about math

>

GiantSubs

Question about math
Old 02-05-2019, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm serving on a curriculum committee and need some information from you fabulous K teachers! If you have time to answer these two questions, I would greatly appreciate it!

* How much, if any, fact practice do you do in class?
* Do you send home math homework for practice? If so, are you sending worksheets from your curriculum or math fact practice?

GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 02-05-2019, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The majority of the time is spent on developing number sense at the K level. Our current math adoption does not have a lot of fact practice. We have to supplement. I really don't do worksheets. I send home a weekly game for my students to play with their families.

We spend a lot of time working at the concrete level with a variety of manipulatives to help students understand the concepts of addition and subtraction. Some of the activities we do for number sense, such as finding different ways to make numbers (different number pairs), one more/one less, counting on from a given number and even the subitizing routines we do, help to build the foundation needed for learning the facts.

In K, students have to know the basic facts within 5. I do not introduce the facts until students demonstrate a good understanding of addition and subtraction. Students can use manipulatives like ten frames/counters, bead sticks, rekenreks, even their fingers, if needed when we start out. We play lots of games.

I work with addition first. We work with + 0 facts first. Then we do their turn arounds. We work on the + 1 and their turn arounds. We learn the doubles- 0 + 0, 1 + 1, 2 + 2. Finally that leaves 2 + 3 and its turn around. I do a similar thing with the subtraction facts.

My students know the required facts by the end of the year.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-05-2019, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We do very little fact practice in class. It's the one thing I know I do very poorly when it comes to math standards. However, all of my kids come out with a very strong number sense and know what they it means to add and subtract.

I do not send home any homework, nor do I use many worksheets.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote