Help

Retired Teachers

Were you emotional on your last day?

>

wildflowerz

Were you emotional on your last day?
Old 01-27-2019, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My last day with kids was on Thursday and I wasn’t sad at all. I am so ready to be done. I have to do report cards and will go in on Wed to work with the new teacher. I’ll have my final lunch with my friends. I might be a little emotional at the end of Wed. but I doubt it.

I told the kids about retiring last week and they were so cute. One boy asked, “Why do you have to go?”

I said, “I don’t have to go, I want to go.” Then I explained that my husband has been retired and is ready to travel. I also told them that when I started teaching their parents weren’t even born yet. I compared it to them going to elementary school, then moving on to middle school, high school, and college. Retiring is a part of growing up and moving on to the next phase of life.

After all of that the only question was, “Are you going to buy new clothes?”

wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 01-27-2019, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was a tiny bit sad on my last day, but mostly I was elated. I walked out feeling lighter.

New clothes
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Nope
Old 01-27-2019, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wasn't sad on my last day. As much as I enjoyed teaching over the years, the last few were draining and exhausting. I was ready to go and looked forward to starting the next phase of my life.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

attitude on last day
Old 01-27-2019, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I count it as one of my happiest days. Not that I hated teaching...far from it. I just wanted to get away from the drama my principal and the mean girls had created. And I was tired of writing lesson plans and trying to input data and worrying about test scores and creating huge posters about progress to display at the next data meeting....blah, blah, blah. I was done. Overcooked, actually.
timeforbed is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Surprisingly, no
Old 01-27-2019, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I retired in June and was somewhat surprised that I was not emotional. I guess in retrospect, I shouldn't be all that surprised because the class was challenging, the demands of the job had exponentially increased so much that I was very stressed and had little time to enjoy the job or plan lessons that were truly my own, my principal and I did not enjoy a great relationship, the other teachers were lovely people but I was close to very few of them, and there were many things I was looking forward to being able to do in retirement.

My students were somewhat sad, but I reminded them that they would be moving on to another school in the town for the next year and we would not see each other every day anyway.

I retired with two grade level colleagues. The parents did a very nice send-off for us, and I was a bit emotional at that one, especially since it was a surprise for us. But, that happened a few weeks prior to the last day. The school also did a wonderful assembly program for us.

I wish you all the joy and happiness for a long and healthy retirement. It has been a real blessing for me, and I have loved having the time to truly explore the things I want to do with my life. I recently went to a retirement dinner for one of our school's employees, and the other staff members I talked to commented on how relaxed I seemed and how great I looked. I kept thinking, "How could I not be?"

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I was emotional saying good bye the last day
Old 01-27-2019, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

But after the students left to go home I was excited to clean my room for the last time and begin a new chapter of my life.

I love the question about new clothes! Kids say the darnedest things!

Last edited by 1956BD; 01-27-2019 at 08:42 AM..
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Last day
Old 01-27-2019, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I was thoroughly enjoying it until at days end I walked into the office to say goodbye to secretary. She was the only school secretary i had for 19 years. She burst into tears and she NEVER cries.

Then, back in my room, as I turned before I closed the doors for the last time, I completely fell apart for a few minutes. So many good memories, a few sad ones, the overwhelming sense of relief....it just hit me I would never do this again.

Dried my eyes, locked the door, and walked away.

I miss the socialization of teaching but not one other thing.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 01-27-2019, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was a little sad on my last day. I thought the time would never come, and then it did. I was worn out from getting everything done, a family retirement party, a school luncheon, and saying good-bye for days. I was not in the classroom, and all the teachers had already given me everything I needed. All my files were in the office, my room was ready, so I was ready to walk out the door. We were told to leave at 1:00 that day, but at 11:00, I told administration that I was leaving. P actually told me I was supposed to stay until one. I told her I couldn't say good-bye one more time, and then I said to dock my pay if she had to! Nice way to leave! So I walked out and felt like I was starting an adventure. In my mind I said my good-byes to all those I would miss (maybe not the P), and drove off into retirement.

And - I gave away clothes! I only wear comfortable play clothes now!
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 01-27-2019, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

No, I was excited! The ladies on my team got tears but I told them tears were not permitted as it was a day to celebrate. When I walked out of school that last day, I turned towards the building, smiled, and said,”Thanks for the memories,” got in my car and drove into summer break and my new life as a retiree.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

cvt

last day
Old 01-27-2019, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Leaving that last day was wonderful. Walking out the front door and driving off the parking lot to start a new life was an amazing feeling. It was that sense of freedom to do what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it. I still came back the next year to sub long term for two of my colleagues who went on maternity leave, as well as mentor the new teachers after six of us retired, but it confirmed to me that I made the right decision.

Because I had not announced to anyone (except the principal) that I was retiring, it came as a shock to my colleagues and parents who were expecting to have me as their younger children's teacher the following school year. There were some tears, but not from me.

I loved many of the aspects of teaching, but I love my retired life so much more.

cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 01-27-2019, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think it is a bit different retiring in the middle of the school year. When the kids left the last day, I was happy. After 35 years, it was time to say goodbye to my teaching life. I love retirement and look forward to each and every day.
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Last Day
Old 01-27-2019, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I did very much what Kelticmom did.

The day was great. Upbeat, fun. There were 3 6th grade teachers, my husband and I making up 2 of them. We shared a portable - I was on one side, he was on the other.

I had worked with the third 6th grade teacher for over 10 years. We were a great team and even better when my husband moved down from 7th grade. She got the kids together, and on the last day they created a "Life's a Beach" scenario in my classroom, complete with kiddie pool, beach balls, and umbrella drinks! For my husband's room, they created a hunting scenario, complete with a fake campfire, tent, traps, horns, etc. (He does a lot of hunting, but also taught hunter/outdoor education at school for 25 years). It was high energy the whole day as the kids had really gone all out!

Later, at the retirement party/open house my partner in crime presented me, on behalf of the school, with a beautiful historic reprint of our town. She burst into tears. She NEVER cries. So, of course, I started crying.

At times I felt a bit nostalgic, but by no means want to go back. The pangs are for those days when teaching was fun, rewarding, and child-centered. As soon as I think of what teaching is like today, I am centered again.
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemEd

I was not emotional either
Old 01-27-2019, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I felt like I should have been...like people may have been expecting that...like I was being 'cold', and wondered if mine was a common reaction, or abnormal...but I had made a decision, and was following through with it. I just felt pretty matter-of-fact.
ElemEd is offline   Reply With Quote

musiclover

Not me
Old 01-27-2019, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I was very quiet about my retirement until it actually happened. At my school, each retiree had to stand in front of a faculty meeting/party and tell about their teaching career. Or answer questions such as: "What was your most memorable experience?" or "What are your future plans?" And then each one was handed a rose.

Although I have had a successful career and had a lovely team my last couple of years my P was a drama queen. I didn't want to be recognized by someone who really didn't like me, and I felt the same about her. My good friends had already planned a party for me and I was looking forward to that.

It rained the last day of school and we were in a portable and I didn't get to tell my class goodbye properly. Dismissal in the rain was always controlled chaos, and this day there was a lot of lightening!
I felt kinda sad about not hugging them and loving on them.

The following day I cleaned up my room, turned in my keys, gave away a bunch of stuff to my team, and left the school around noon. Just as I turned the key in my ignition, another huge rainstorm began. I said to myself that I wouldn't have to deal with that weather at school anymore and I drove myself to lunch, went home and took a good nap!
musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 01-31-2019, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

To be honest, I couldn't wait walk out the door!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

westwitch

Nope!
Old 02-01-2019, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Grabbed my purse and walked out the door, smiling! It was time to go!
westwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 02-06-2019, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I remember how I felt when I retired. I remember signing the retirement papers in HR. It felt as if I was signing a part of my life away. I knew it was time. I didn’t want to be one of those teachers students talked about: “You mean she is still working???” Or administrators eyeing me and wondering: “When will she finally leave so we can replace her with a newer and cheaper model?”
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote