Help

Retired Teachers

RMDs

>

amiga13

RMDs
Old 02-04-2019, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I whined about dealing with money on another thread and some confusion about RMDs arose. I did some research and talked (again!) with my financial advisor. I think I get this:
Quote:
A required minimum distribution is the amount that owners of a traditional, SEP or SIMPLE IRA account and qualified plan participants must begin withdrawing from their retirement accounts by April 1 following the year they reach age 70 1/2.
And now that I get it (and know nothing depends on deceased DHís age), I am allowed the privilege of not even thinking about it for over 2 years. Yaaaaay!

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 02-04-2019, 09:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This stuff can be so confusing. Some accounts follow state rules; while others follow federal rules.

Iím glad you checked and, that for you, itís your age and not your deceased husbandís age that counts. But, others should be aware that thatís not the case for all inherited accounts. The age used depends on the type of account, and how it was titled after the spouseís death.

The good news is that the financial institution is obligated the first year to notify you of the necessity of taking the RMD. So, if you move, make sure that you have updated your information on your accounts.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

2grade

Old 02-12-2019, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

RMDs can be confusing but be aware that the penalties for not taking them as stipulated can be a very costly mistake:
Quote:
50 percent of the RMD amount. If your IRA RMD is $10,000, that means a $5,000 penalty on top of the tax you already owe.
I have just started taking my RMDs. After years of saving and saving, it's hard to get used to required withdrawing.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote