Retired Teachers

Oh! The joys ...

>

Beach Glass

Oh! The joys ...
Old 02-10-2019, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

of retirement!

We took a leisurely 3 days to arrive in Tucson and pick up our daughter and fiancÚ for a 3-day javelina hunt. Weather and animals were not cooperative (it was so COLD!) but they must fly back tomorrow. But once their flight leaves, instead of heading home as planned, we decided to spend a couple days reacquainting ourselves with Tucson, and then head back to the hunting unit for DH to try his hand again at getting his javelina.

Never, while working, could we have deviated from the original itinerary.

Wonderful! (But the weather is STILL supposed to be cold and windy!)

Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Flexibility is Wonderful
Old 02-10-2019, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Enjoy your extended trip.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 02-10-2019, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's my favorite thing about retirement - we can just pack and go anytime of the year. We left on Jan. 26th for a 10 day cruise (combo Valentine, my birthday and our anniversary trip). We went to Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Dominica, St. Thomas and Grand Turk - and 3 sea days. We had a great time, got to add a new port on our 'btdt' list (Grenada was new to us). There were about 5 children on the ship, all very well behaved.
The first time we did this I felt guilty... for about an hour . Now I just feel thankful.
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Yay for Retirement!
Old 02-10-2019, 11:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love being able to travel any time of year. I got home a few weeks ago from a 2 week trip to SE Asia. We missed a big snowstorm here in MD, and it was all melted when we returned.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

goazcats

Old 02-11-2019, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Beach Glass...good news! It's supposed to be 70 degrees Tuesday and 73 Wednesday. I know it gets cold here but hopefully you can thaw out the next two days. Enjoy your visit to Tucson!

goazcats is offline   Reply With Quote

twinsister

Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sounds like a wonderful time. It definitely is great to have spur of the moment fun! ENJOY!
twinsister is online now   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Goazcats
Old 02-12-2019, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Willcox will be warming up to 66 tomorrow, so maybe I'll thaw, if the wind calms down a bit! I hope the warmer temperatures will bring the javelina out, too.

Had a nice break in Tucson these past couple days; made my long-awaited visit to Trader Joe's and spent way too much money at Bookman's - both my husband and I love that place!

We also took in DeGrazia's Gallery of the Sun again. My visit there a couple years ago was rushed. I admire his work so much.

It's been a nice mix of activities.

crazy4catz

Old 02-12-2019, 09:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We stayed out at Starr Pass and saw many javelinas. They are creepy and scary to me. My parents have a house in the mountains in AZ and 5 javelinas surrounded my dad and their dog. This was years ago but it still creeped me out. Good luck & have fun!
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: Tucson
Old 02-13-2019, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Good morning to all-
When we spent our year in Arizona helping with grandsons, we discovered Tucson- much more interesting than Phoenix where we lived.
We enjoyed the big park outside of town with its hummingbird enclosure. We also really enjoyed visiting Tubac- a little settlement of arts shops and displays on the highway toward Mexico.
We also found in our exploration of the area a shady looking motel in a shady part of town. It was called, and I'm not making this up- "The No-Tell Motel."
It advertised rooms by the week, day or hour.
But we really did enjoy Tucson.
Good day to all- Ed
EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Tucson Area
Old 02-13-2019, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When we left Willcox this morning for the hunt, I had on my "usual" (for the previous days of hunting) flannel shirt, fleece vest, and Cabela's 3-season jacket! By the time the day was done, I had on only my flannel! The temperatures are improving! Yay!

And even better, DH got his javelina with his muzzleloader!

We are not strangers to this part of AZ. DH grew up in Sierra Vista and has hunted this territory all his life until moving to ID and continuing to hunt there. We've continued to visit the area while his parents lived there.

Another must see is Kartchner Caverns State Park, south of Tucson. It was discovered by spelunkers over 30 years ago, but said nothing for fear the caverns would be exploited to the point of death as many have. After many years they told the landowners what a treasure they had on their property, and the wheels started moving to create a wonderful experience while maintaining the integrity of the caverns and its inhabitants. A truly amazing excursion.

We head north tomorrow and, and forget Valentine's Day - we'll be celebrating AZ Statehood Day with cousins!