Help

Retired Teachers

Teenagers

>

suzanna1

Teenagers
Old 02-16-2019, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi I just retired at 55 and have a 14 year old boy and 11 year old girl. My son has adhd and is more inattentive at school. Socially he has friends and plays sports. He struggles academically and does not like school or homework but averaged last 2 marking periods in low 80s . Since I am an older mom and most of you are my age or older, Iím thinking you might have experience with teenage boys. Lately I noticed heís a little more angry when we tell him he canít do something and heís becoming somewhat disrespectful and short with us. I know heís a teenager but he was always respectful and kind. How common is this and do you have any advice on how to get through this time?

suzanna1 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 02-16-2019, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think most teens go through a period of being disrespective and generally annoying. It's their way of breaking away a bit. I didn't think I would survive my daughter's 15th year. She is now 30 and apologizes regularly for being such a brat.

It is important to pick your battles. Decide what rules are important to you. Make clear consequences for breaking those rules. Then tell yourself to take a deep breath and let some things go.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Behavior
Old 02-16-2019, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our daughter is also ADHD. She had been on long-acting Ritalin since 4th grade. Everything was fine. But when she became a teen, we also noticed a marked difference in her behavior. Yes, some of it was hormonal, but upon a visit with her doctor, discovered that because of physical, mental, and emotional changes, her prescription and dosage was no longer the best option. It took a little while, but we came up with a solution. She ended up staying on the long-acting Ritalin, but upped her dose a little.

Last edited by Beach Glass; 02-16-2019 at 10:04 PM..
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote